→ Apply until 19/08/2022 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Discipline: Experimental Modeling Techniques in the COB Wave Tank Facility
→ Reference number: 202206/EA15/ZAP/001
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 9,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
Staff members and 41,000 students implement daily the motto ‘Dare to Think’ of Ghent University.
The faculty of Engineering and Architecture has a vacancy for a professorship, starting from September 1st, 2022. It concerns a part-time (30%) position as Professor in the rank of Assistant Professor (docent), Associate Professor (hoofddocent) or Full Professor (hoogleraar), combined with a part-time (70%) position of postdoctoral staff member, in the Department of Civil Engineering (EA15), charged with academic teaching, scientific research and carrying out scientific duties in the field of Experimental Modeling Techniques in the COB Wave Tank Facility. This assignment is specifically focused on taking on the role of director of the ‘Coastal & Ocean Basin’ or COB in the Flanders Maritime Laboratory at the Ostend Science Park in Ostend (Belgium). The COB is managed by a consortium composed of Ghent University, KU Leuven and Flanders Hydraulics Research. The role of the director is explicitly described in the cooperation agreement between the consortium partners involved.
You contribute to a limited extent, and subordinate to the main task (see below), to education through various supporting guest lectures, such as e.g. for a course unit, during PhD courses, summer classes, project courses, children’s university, etc. … in consultation with colleagues from the department.
Your main task includes the operational management of the COB, as well as the contact for the clients of the COB with contract negotiations and acquisitions, and the execution of the management of the COB in consultation with the management committee and Board of Directors of the consortium UGent, KU Leuven and Flanders Hydraulics Research, as laid down in the cooperation agreement. You support and develop research in the field of coastal and offshore engineering and renewable ocean energy, subordinate to the main task.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the department of Civil Engineering (EA15), subordinate to the main task.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- You have extensive experience in experimental modeling in a wave tank, in terms of supervision as well as planning and technical execution, as well as knowledge of numerical modeling and full scale measurements, in the field of coastal and offshore engineering and/or renewable ocean energy.
- You have previous experience working with academic and industrial partners in research consortia.
- Recommended are:
- international mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- knowledge of Dutch;
- experience in leading a wave tank facility.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented.
- You take initiative.
- You are a team player who works together with the colleagues involved in the department and the COB consortium.
- You can communicate very well (writing and speaking) in English.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on September 1st, 2022. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
For the appointment as part-time (30%) professor:
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of assistant professor, associate professor or full professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
We offer you an appointment with renewable duration for 5 years.
For the appointment as part-time (70%) postdoctoral staff member: we offer you a contract of indefinite duration.
The recruitment is possible no sooner than September 1st, 2022.
For the appointment as part-time (30%) professor:
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy – at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/work/mobility-career/career-aspects/professorial-staff.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities.
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. Read more.
For the appointment as part-time (70%) postdoctoral staff member: your remuneration will be determined by salary scale salary scale PD1 to PD4. Click here for more information about our salary scales.
Each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bike allowance and eco vouchers. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late or incomplete applications, or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Application form’: the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), merged into one pdf file.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession). For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Geert De Schutter, chair of the evaluation committee ([email protected]; +32 9 2645521).