Type of contract Fixed-term contract, which may be extended subject to individual performance and organisational needs
Who can apply? EU nationals
Salary E/F (1) (minimum full time monthly net salary €4,229 and benefits, see further information section)
Role specialisation Organisational Excellence
Working time Full time
Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Closing date 19.08.2022
You will be part of the Administrative Services Division in the Directorate General Corporate Services. Among many other things, our Directorate General manages the ECB’s infrastructure, technical facilities and security arrangements, operates the ECB’s premises and carries out medium-term spatial requirement planning and project management for ECB buildings. It also coordinates the ECB’s environmental management system (EMS), as well as all occupational health and safety activities.
In your role as an Environmental Specialist in the Green ECB team, which is part of the Infrastructure Facility Management Section, you will work closely with and support the ECB’s Environmental Officer, coordinating with colleagues in other parts of the Directorate (particularly the Facility Management, Corporate Real Estate and Administrative Services teams). You will also interact with communications, IT and procurement experts from other business areas, as well as environmental ambassadors from across the ECB. You will collaborate closely with external service providers on specific projects and initiatives, ensuring that environmental and business objectives are achieved.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
As an Environmental Specialist, you will:
- support the maintenance and development of the ECB’s environmental management system, which has been certified as complying with ISO 14001 and is registered with the EU’s Eco Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS);
- collect, analyse and visualise environmental data from various sources, develop and monitor environmental key performance indicators, and use data to produce engaging and effective communication material, management reports and dashboards;
- draft and review EMS-related documentation, information and reports aimed at various target groups (including senior management and external stakeholders);
- support the performance of environmental site checks and follow-up actions (such as the drafting of reports, the provision of regular briefings on the status quo, and the implementation of corrective or preventive measures);
- research, analyse and present information from diverse and reliable sources to support the development of various aspects of the EMS;
- assist with the development of EMS objectives and measures, the review and analysis of issues and trends, and the preparation of evaluations and proposals for further improvement;
- help to coordinate the involvement of internal and external stakeholders in the implementation and further development of the EMS;
- coordinate and facilitate the development and implementation of awareness-raising, communication and engagement campaigns;
- help to integrate environmental and/or sustainability-related considerations into public procurement processes and procedures;
- assist the environmental ambassadors in the various ECB business areas with the fulfilment of their mandates;
- support the ECB’s contributions to interinstitutional networks, events and working groups in the field of environmental management;
- help to manage documentation and data on the ECB’s dedicated information management and internal communication platforms;
- support and coordinate the management of external service providers.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to develop new tools and processes to optimise the ECB’s environmental performance. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental sciences, environmental management, sustainability, business administration, economics, communication, international relations or another relevant field (see How you can join us for details on degree equivalences);
- in addition to the above, at least two years’ experience in a relevant field (i.e. work relating to (i) the maintenance and development of environmental management systems, (ii) compliance with the requirements of ISO 14001 or EMAS, or (iii) environmental/sustainability management and reporting);
- a solid understanding of the science behind climate change, the interdependencies between the various systems that are affected by climate change, and the mitigation measures that are needed at the various micro and macro levels;
- an understanding of carbon accounting methodologies (such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, the Bilan Carbone or ISO 14064) and emission reduction strategies (such as the Science-Based Targets methodology);
- strong communication and presentation skills, gained in a multicultural environment, and the ability to coordinate and engage with a range of different internal and external stakeholders, including senior management and staff;
- experience of collecting, analysing, visualising and reporting environmental data and facilitating data collection processes and procedures, as well as maintenance of governance frameworks and documents;
- practical experience of carrying out environmental/sustainability reporting in line with recognised standards and guidelines (such as those of the Global Reporting Initiative or EMAS) and integrating environmental, social and governance factors into organisational processes and reporting;
- an advanced knowledge of MS Office (particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word);
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- experience of managing contracts and relationships with external suppliers;
- experience of coordinating teams and projects;
- experience of developing and coordinating awareness-raising campaigns and events, and of organising, facilitating and supporting training, meetings, workshops and committees dealing with environmental and sustainability-related topics;
- familiarity with green or sustainable procurement processes;
- knowledge and experience of the carbon offsetting market.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
You are motivated to be part of our team and to develop and use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.
We would be happy to discuss a part-time arrangement for this role.
The contract offered will be fixed-term, the appointment being for two years as of the exact starting date of the selected person.
Temporary appointments may be extended or made permanent subject to organisational needs and budgetary constraints. This may result in a staff member with a non-convertible fixed-term contract being offered a convertible contract in accordance with the ECB Conditions of Employment.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to the hiring manager, Susanne Schröder, on +49 (0) 172 1322 192 between 15:00-16:00 on Thursday 4 August and on Monday 15 August between 15:00-16:00.
Application and selection process
The recruitment process for this position will be conducted remotely. It may include an interview in the pre-selection phase and – if you are invited to participate in the subsequent selection phase – a written exercise, a presentation and an interview.
If you are not selected for this position but are still considered suitable, you will be placed on a reserve list (see step 4 of How we hire), from which you might be considered for similar positions within the ECB.
Find out how to apply for a position at the ECB.
Read more about joining us.