Requisition ID: req29447
Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Assosa, Ethiopia
IRC is Responding to the world’s worst humanitarian crises in a great variety of roles, the International Rescue Committee’s staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
We are one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provide relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. We are committed to innovation and creative partnerships.
Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, we assist people from harm to home.
SHPO could be under the direct supervision of Senior SHPO and EH manager is responsible to support the implementation of r hygiene and sanitation promotion and water supply activities by using appropriate hygiene promotion approaches, with required standard and principles, and level of participation. The position holder is also responsible for Client’s selection & verification, community mobilization, proper management of resources under the project.
Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer (SHPO) officer is responsible in implementing under joint supervision of technical support from Assosa and administrative managers in Bambasi Refugee Camp.
In collaboration with other teams and partners working in the project area, Position holder is encouraged to handle activities, budget and staffs assigned for sanitation and hygiene promotion activities for which they assigned. The SHP officer encouraged to participate in different project cycles assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation for effective strategy of project activities. The position holder encouraged to play leading role in mentoring, coaching and leadership of environmental health workers at operational area.
- Participated in different phases of project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation on water, sanitation & hygiene promotion related activities.
- Select and conduct capacity training for refugee incentive workers on EH Guideline, Community Hygiene Club (CHC), Children’s Sanitation & Hygiene training (CHAST) methods.
- Coordinate and facilitate interactive and participatory hygiene promotion activities for Social behavioral change communication process.
- Provide professional and required support for Environmental Health Agents, School hygiene Clubs, Sanitation facility attendants for effective project implementation and success.
- Facilitate and lead grand total sanitation campaigns in schools and refugee communities.
- Coordinate and facilitates national and global WASH related campaign with Partners and refugee structures.
- Design feasible activity, procurement, and spending plan for SHP activities.
- Actively participate and conduct different WASH need assessment.
- Plan & initiate procurement to program activities required for SHP within in the grant period.
- Handle finance, logistics and huma resources allocated for intended program activities.
- Develop Terms of reference on Knowledge, Practice and Coverage surveys in refugee and in IDP sites.
- Provide required support on drafting and developing questioners for KPC data collection Process and act accordingly.
- Participate and taking lead in KPC survey data collection and entry process by Open Data Kits applications. Draft and share KPC survey reports and findings to field office.
- Liaison with the local government and implementing partners in preparation of action plan for implementation of effective hygiene and sanitation promotion activities.
- Work with refugee leaders to identify volunteers/incentive workers for hygiene promotion/education.
- Take part in designing and production appropriate IEC/BCC materials for effective use.
- Conducting and follow up a water quality test.
- Keep all data, records, lessons and share accordingly.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to technical and immediate mangers.
- Serve as SHP focal person in assigned operational area and refugee camps.
- Participate in other environmental health activities as assigned by the supervisor.
- University Post degree, BSc degree and diploma graduate in Environmental Health Science, Public Health, Health Education, or any other related field from recognized University.
- Minimum 1 years for post graduate degree, 2 years for first degree and 5 years relevant work experience for diploma holders.
- Previous experience of in refugees leading humanitarian projects accepted.
- Earlier experience of implementing of CHC, CHAST, PHAST and CLTS trainings in refugees and IDPs appreciated.
- NGO experience is a plus.
Women applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
- Hygiene promotion experience in local community, refugee, or emergency context.
- Supervisory and managerial skill.
- Technical and report writing skill.
- Adopt and use of Words and Excels etc. to facilitating activities.
- Proficiency in spoken and writing English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skill.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
At IRC – we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other human demographic.