- Conduct in-depth assessments of the sector needs in the target sites. With support from senior technical colleagues, carry out WASH assessments in coordination with other thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs. Use standard Save the Children needs assessment format for data collection
- Based on assessments, provide strategies for early recovery, rehabilitation and development phase of WASH programming and develop concept notes and proposals
- Determine the WASH staffing needs and lead in the organization of the team from interviewing candidates, training & mentoring new staff, and staff supervision.
- With support from Head of program implementation and WASH Technical Specialist, help develop project plans and budgets for WASH grants.
- Provide inputs on strategies for early recovery, rehabilitation and development phase for WASH programming
- Develop concept notes and proposals that includes advocacy messages on WASH
- Implement projects as set out in WASH project planning documents, flagging up both successes and risks to Team Leader.
- Lead the preparation of WASH programme and donor reports.
- Identify project supplies, develop procurement plan and coordinate with the logistics team to ensure materials are available as per implementation plan.
- With MEAL team, develop and carry out monitoring and evaluation activities as agreed in a monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Ensure that projects are carried out with participation from all relevant stakeholders, including disaster affected children and their families.
- Implement project activities that adhere to the minimum standards of humanitarian relief and are in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct and other Save the Children quality standards.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Represent Save the Children WASH program at the local and state level.
- In collaboration with Head of Program Implementation, WASH Specialist, MEAL specialist in feeding in learning, experiences and evidence to relevant CO/ Regional advocacy objectives
- Deliver results in line with the current proposals and Save the Children’s strategy and to do this in a way which maintains the reputation of the WASH team and the Humanitarian Department.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the security, health and wellbeing of staff needs of staff are addressed and staff management and other processes and policies and systems reflect Save the Children’s principles of equity and fairness.
- To perform such other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds oneself accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results together with children and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for self and team, takes responsibility for own personal development and encourages team to do the same
- Widely shares personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with own team, colleagues, members, donors and partners
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Always acts in the best interests of children.
- Minimum 5-6 years of working experience, including minimum 2 years of working in WASH-related humanitarian programmes and management rles.
- Civil engineering or public health, Geologist qualification at least bachelor degree.
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Commitment to capacity building and developing others
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Good understanding of local languages.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Aug 11, 2022