AWS is looking for a results-oriented individual to join the AWS water infrastructure team. In this role, you will execute projects related to water based cooling system infrastructure with assistance from internal teams including construction, operations, engineering, environmental, and project commissioning teams. You will work with outside engineering consultants and general contractors, water treatment and sampling vendors and local utilities to ensure projects meet regulatory standards and a high bar for operational efficiency, reliability, and safety. You will deliver water sustainability projects for AWS Infrastructure in our existing and planned Central and South American regions, as you execute on the delivery of multiple water infrastructure development projects, monitor operational efficiency metrics, and build in system resiliency after project hand-off to regional operations teams. You will also be the central point of contact for all issues pertaining to water and wastewater treatment and disinfection systems and for managing healthy relationships with utilities. If you have an understanding of water-cooled infrastructure in building operations, are interested in innovation in the water sector, and understand the feasibility of construction under various designs, you are a probably a good fit!
Alternate locations include, Seattle, WA & Arlington, VA, USA.
Key job responsibilities
The Water Projects Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Engineer, implement and monitor water treatment/operations projects and identify optimal design criteria for scaling projects to full-scale deployment across different regions in Central and South America.
• Work with internal teams to trouble shoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design and fleet deployed water systems.
• Work with local water utilities to understand and coordinate site utility requirements, site inspections and compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
• Track and manage reliability and maintenance of water systems, as well as the resiliency of sources of water supply required for data center cooling.
• Work with Operations to develop resiliency plans for water supply sources
• Deliver projects that directly support water sustainability goals
• Oversee support, and testing/validation of systems during installation, operation, and maintenance of water treatment equipment and associated mechanical system.
• Interface with internal engineering, operations, real estate and environmental health and safety teams to develop and implement solutions in rural areas that often lack adequate available water and wastewater infrastructure.
• Overseeing maintenance and compliance of on-site water treatment and disinfection systems.
• Up to 35% travel as needed for project execution.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or Urban Planning
• Bilingual in speaking, reading, and writing English, and Spanish or Portuguese
• 7+ years of experience with industrial or commercial field engineering in data centers.
• 10+ years of project-related experience working with local or state government agencies, utilities, site development due diligence and/or permitting entities.
• Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings and equipment specifications and able to carry design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/scalable implementation.
• Strong understanding of mechanical/plumbing related to data centers or similar buildings that use water infrastructure such as pumps, cooling towers, evaporative media, heat exchangers, air handling units, or air economizers.
• 15+ years of direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of water treatment equipment fleet management or civil design work for water and wastewater infrastructure.
• Knowledge of water and wastewater regulations in Central and South American countries, including Brazil
• Advanced degree in Civil/Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or Urban Planning.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects
• Analytical mindset that can identify gaps in requirements during project development, predict performance, and have the ability to provide recommendations on a short notice and with limited information.
• Knowledge or skills in SQL or data analytics tools such as Tableau