Head of the Water and Sanitation Component
Since mid-2016, GIZ has been implementing three large-volume transitional aid projects to mitigate the impacts of the 2014 refugee crisis. Currently, more than 500,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) and about 200,000 Syrian refugees still live in the Governorate of Dohuk alone (population around 1.4 million). In spite of the relatively good infrastructure in place and the enormous will to help, the Kurdistan region government does not have the capacities to supply the necessary services to this high number of mostly impoverished IDPs and refugees. A follow-on project is to consolidate the results achieved to date in the health, water and education sectors. The focus is on capacity development services for the Kurdish partner, in order to develop management capacities for the provision of services in these sectors in the medium term.
- Planning, organising, steering and implementing the water component
- Coordinating project activities with partners at government, provincial and local level
- Advising managers from partner organisations on technical and managerial issues
- Budget planning and financial management of the component
- Leading and managing an international team
- Steering Human Capacity Development (HCD) measures and services provided by external consultants and consulting firms
- Cooperating with international development partners, in particular bodies that are part of the UN system
- Steering a co-financing arrangement
- A university degree (master’s) in water or environmental management, or in a comparable discipline
- Several years of experience of working in the water and environmental sector
- Experience in managing international development cooperation and/or humanitarian aid projects
- Experience in planning, implementing and operating infrastructure projects
- Experience in transitional aid and stabilisation in the water, sanitation and hygiene sectors (WASH)
- Highly developed ability to deliver advisory services in a complex and fragile political setting
- Experience in Iraq or in the region would be an advantage
- Fluent German and English
The security situation can rightly be described as tense. Constant vigilance is called for, and GIZ staff are required to take special precautionary measures. Staff must comply at all times with GIZ security measures.
The particular features of your assignment in Iraq will be discussed specifically with you.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- During the preparation phase, you will receive initial insights into GIZ and the local conditions. This ensures you are as well prepared as you can be for your placement. You have the opportunity to contact other new starters, and to expand and develop your personal network.
- We are happy to support your professional development, for example with the training provision of the Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ), the leading provider of international skills development.
- We are convinced that employees need a healthy balance between their private and professional lives. This is why we offer childcare allowances and support to accompanying partners. Our family-friendly nature also extends to situations where relatives are in need of care. As part of its family-friendly staff policy, GIZ aspires to support employees while they are carrying out their work.
- Our flexible working hours offer you the time and the flexibility to reduce the overtime you work in agreement with your manager. If necessary, we will find even more flexible working hours for individual employees.
- We take your wishes into account when it comes to your daily working schedule. We offer diverse part-time formats including flexi-time to be agreed on a daily, hourly or monthly basis.
- Do you need a longer period off? We have a special part-time block model which also allows you to take a leave of absence lasting several months. You can save up your working time credit over a longer period and work it out within the framework of an exemption.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- We set common objectives for the new year in our annual employee meetings. If you achieve these objectives, you may receive an additional variable payment.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
- If you have not yet found somewhere suitable to live when you travel to your placement, it is also possible to stay in a hotel in the short term. An allowance for hotel costs will be paid for this. For the duration of the employment abroad, GIZ will pay an allowance for rent in the place of employment.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 6196 79 3200