Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in 120 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you’ve come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000050809
- Location: Natitingou
- Assignment period: 11/01/2022 – 12/31/2024
- Field: Peace, Security and Emergency
- Type of employment: full-time
- Application deadline: 08/07/2022
The Civil Peace Service (CPS) of GIZ in Niger and Benin promotes social cohesion and a peaceful use of renewable resources in these two countries. In addition to its headquarters in Niamey, the project has two local offices in Northern Benin. Together with governmental and civil society partners, the Natitingou office is implementing the cross-border CPS program “Strengthening social cohesion and promoting an inclusive use of natural resources” in the department of Atakora, in Northwestern Benin.
- Advising civil society organizations on peaceful, inclusive and sustainable governance of natural resources, with a specific focus on the peace needs of pastoral communities
- Advising and supporting dialogue platforms for crisis prevention in the field natural resource management at the municipality and village levels
- Dissemination and communication of relevant aspects of rural land policies to pastoralists and cultivators in the municipalities of intervention
- Providing technical support to institutional structures responsible for natural resource management at the municipality and regional levels.
- Promotion of conflict-sensitive and non-stigmatizing reporting by local media
- Capacity development of target groups and key stakeholders regarding non-violent conflict management and methods for conflict prevention and transformation
- Supporting civil society organizations in their lobbying effort towards state actors for peaceful and Human Rights friendly natural resource governance models
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, as well as cooperation with the ZFD teams in Parakou and Niamey regarding knowledge management and the implementation of cross-border activities
- Academic degree in political science, environmental science, agronomy, anthropology or any comparable qualification
- Knowledge and experience regarding conflict prevention and transformation in the field of natural resource management, ideally in West Africa, as well as knowledge of and interest in agro-pastoral systems
- Social and intercultural competence, ability to work in a team, organizational skills, independent working style and high sense of responsibility
- Sound knowledge of the fields of dialogue, human rights work, and civil conflict transformation
- Practical experience in the field of organizational consulting
- Willingness to engage with the topic of agro-pastoral conflicts and to work in conflict-ridden contexts
- Excellent command of French; good knowledge of German and English is an advantage
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Benin.
In general, the security situation is calm. The instructions on security measures issued by GIZ must be followed at all times. Please also inform yourself about country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management has been appointed at the GIZ office on site. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on family members travelling with you. We kindly ask you to find out which forms of relationship are legally and socially accepted in the country of assignment.
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel on a regular basis is required.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment – please contact us at: [email protected]
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment – in particular also regarding COVID-19.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.