We are recruiting a Policy Adviser to join our General Insurance team.
You’ll be working on some of the most catastrophic events that affect consumers and businesses in the UK. Fire, flood, riots and terrorism are just a few. You’ll be in the unique position of influencing and shaping policy that can make a tangible difference in helping households and businesses get back on their feet when they need it most.
With a strong background in policy development, you’ll work collaboratively to maintain an effective and influential profile for the ABI on property insurance issues and develop policy in this area.
In this high-profile role, there will also be the opportunity to complete media training and, in conjunction with our communications team, be involved in media interviews as part of your job.
The core of your role will be to work with our members, government officials and relevant stakeholders to develop policy positions and deliver policy outcomes on behalf of the property insurance industry. From time to time, you may also be involved in wider, cross-cutting projects.
In your role, you will:
- Lead on the ABI’s work on improving fire safety, ensuring the industry’s position is well understood by wider stakeholders while promoting the ABI as an informed and influential voice on the development of building regulations and fire safety in the UK.
- Work with wider stakeholders to drive improved information on new developments including improved understanding of the insurance implications of modern methods of construction and building in flood risk areas.
- Develop and promote the ABI’s long-term position on flooding in the context of climate change and Flood Re.
- Lead and coordinate the insurance industry’s response to major events such as floods, storms, freezes, terrorist attacks and riots, focusing on the needs of customers, the reputation of the industry, and ensuring robust and accurate data is in the public domain.
- Work with colleagues across the ABI’s Policy and Advocacy Directorates to increase consumer, political and media understanding of property insurance.
- Work closely with the ABI’s conduct regulation team to provide policy input to a range of FCA Thematic Reviews and market studies that impact upon property insurance.
- Act as an effective external representative of the ABI and the insurance industry by undertaking speaking engagements and media appearances.
- Develop and maintain key internal and external relationships including member insurance companies and the wider UK insurance industry, relevant Government departments/agencies, MPs and relevant Parliamentary committees, regulators and representatives of other trade and consumer bodies and other organisations.
Where can this role take you?
Wherever possible, we encourage our staff to develop their careers internally. The next natural step for you in this role would be Senior Policy Adviser – but this is flexible.
With a collaborative environment and the fantastic exposure you get to people and leaders in the industry and the knowledge you’ll build on a range of regulatory and policy issues, the ABI is a great place to build your career.
We’re looking for:
While you don’t need to have worked in property, its paramount you have policy development experience. You’ll need to be skilled at putting together evidence based, compelling policy initiatives andpassionate about representing our members and supporting UK businesses.
You’ll be comfortable handling various member priorities and chairing meetings with your various stakeholders. An engaging, persuasive and friendly communication style will stand you in good stead, both with your stakeholders and colleagues, to help you navigate policy issues and build consensus on a way forward. Alongside this, you’ll also need excellent analytical skills and be able to digest complex policy information quickly and make it accessible for others.
At interview, we’ll be looking for you to evidence strong lobbying skills and the ability to adapt your style to a variety of senior stakeholders.
What training and benefits are offered?
On your first day you’ll be met by our HR team for a full company induction. You’ll then have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus one to ones with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on the CII Introduction to Insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host various Staff Learning Events throughout the year and you will be able to attend relevant ABI and industry events.
Additional training will be tailored to your own personal needs and aspirations and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.
More detail on our company benefits can be foundhere: https://www.abi.org.uk/about-the-abi/careers/your-abi/