Consultancy: Communication for Development for Health, Nutrition and WASH Programme
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, caring.
The Health, Nutrition and WASH Section (H,N &WASH Section) is currently implementing a comprehensive development program which includes the promotion of optimal IYCF and family caring practices in order to increase access to, and uptake of quality health/nutrition/WASH services, as well as creating demand for the evidence-based interventions` availability in the communities, health facilities or ECD/rehabilitation centers. As China is shifting from being a low-income to a middle income country, with under five mortality reduced from 61 per 1,000 in 1991 to 10.7 in 2015, behavioral change strategies, tools and approaches become increasingly important if further achievements are to be made.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to provide technical assistance for the C4D strategy development, implementation and capacity building in support of the Nutrition (Breastfeeding and YYB scale up), ECD and WASH programme components.
How can you make a difference?
The consultant will support UNICEF China Office's Health, Nutrition and WASH Section (H N&WASH) to strengthen its capacity to formulate and implement an evidence-based C4D strategy and implementation plan, including the related communication approaches and materials for the Nutrition (Breastfeeding and YYB scale up), ECD and WASH programme components. This would be done in close collaboration with programme officers, under the supervision of the Section Chief. The consultancy will also include conducting a situational and behavioural analysis, capacity building of UNICEF staff and a review and mapping of existing C4D materials, approaches and gaps.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the HNWASH Section Chief, the consultant will provide technical support to build the C4D capacity of the UNICEF China Office and support the designing, planning, implementation and monitoring of the newly designed communication approaches and materials. The consultant will work in close collaboration with colleagues in HNWASH as well as the communication team in the UNICEF China Office.
Main areas of responsibilities include:
- Support C4D capacity development and provide training of UNICEF staff on C4D including on innovative C4D approaches and programming.
- Conduct a review and mapping of existing C4D materials, approaches and gaps and make recommendations on proposed changes.
- Support the development/strengthening of a C4D strategy, materials/tools and approaches for the Nutrition (Breastfeeding and YYB scale up), ECD and WASH components so as to contribute to the effectiveness of the programme.
For more details of this consultancy role, please visit the TOR: ToR_Consultant C4D H N WASH - VA.docx
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- A Master's Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to Behaviour Change Communication
- Additional training in nutrition is considered an asset.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in social and behaviour change communication, developing and implementing communication strategies, designing and implementing communication products and campaigns and influencing behaviour change.
- Rich experience in C4D training, preferably in EAPRO or China by focusing on health, nutrition and WASH programmes;
- Strong understanding of the UN, in particular the Human Rights Conventions and a rights-based approach to policy, country programming process and management systems;
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, strong coordination, facilitation, and strategic planning skills;
- Experiences in community-based IYCF, ECD, parenting, feeding, WASH programme preferred.
- Fluency in English is required, both written and spoken. Fluency in Chinese language is an asset.
- including strong English speaking and writing skills.
Drive for Results
Learning and Researching
Applying Technical Expertise
Planning and Organizing
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Mon May 13 2019 04:00:00 GMT+0300 (Eastern European Summer Time) China Standard Time
Closing Date Thu May 23 2019 18:55:00 GMT+0300 (Eastern European Summer Time)