Environmental Resilience Specialist
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation. The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The Centre for Global Public Goods acts as a systems leader and platform curator on environment and natural resource security, the future of food, development finance and sustainable development, including helping to organize the World Economic Forum’s Sustainable Development Impact Summit. The centre seeks to bring innovation and frontier approaches to help the international system be more agile and equipped to respond to today’s challenges.
The Centre for Global Public Goods is collaborating with the Government of the United Kingdom as a Co-Lead of the Resilience thematic for the UN Secretary General’s Climate Summit that will take place in September 2019 in New York. Within this UK-Forum collaboration, the Environmental Resilience Specialist will contribute to managing the operations and ensuring the delivery of high-impact outcomes for the UN Climate Summit and beyond. A critical addition to a small team, the Specialist will interact extensively across internal and external networks to advance this work.
Reporting lines and interactions
The position will be in New York within the Centre for Global Public Goods. The Lead will report to the Head of Water and Environmental Resilience, also based in New York. Internally, this person will work with colleagues throughout the centre as well as with colleagues across the organisation for example Regional teams, Industry & Business Engagement, Legal, and other project teams at the Forum. Expected external interactions include supervised contact with community partners from civil society, multilateral development banks, industry and government.
Breakdown of main responsibilities
Support the overall project management, information sharing, communications, events and operations of the Environmental Resilience work. Specifically:
- Support coordination and organization of the project. The breakdown of time is envisioned to be approximately:
- 50% team coordination and administrative support
- 30% event planning and logistics
- 20% communications
- Develop and ensure communication material is kept up to date and shared/accessible to internal colleagues and external stakeholders
- Work with and support colleagues to ensure deliverables in September 2019.
The successful candidate will be assessed on the ability to:
- Manage and organize the project, including coordination support, keeping timelines for various work streams and tracking actions needed to achieve project milestones and objectives. Attention to detail and ability to synthesize large amounts of information is important
- Manage event planning and logistics to support delivery of resilience work streams, both internal Forum events, as well as external workshops and Partner meetings.
- Support the building of strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Support internal and external communications needs by maintaining up-to-date project documents, and other externally facing content as needed.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all internal operational teams, including the Publications, Legal and Events teams
- Provide administrative support to the project and related staff, including arranging conference calls and meetings, taking minutes, and processing contracts and invoices, etc.
Preferred requirements and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, international relations, environmental management or a related field, with 3-5 years of work experience in project management/coordination, event management, or administration, preferably in a global company or international organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multicultural environment and build trust-based relationships
- Flexible, committed, mature team player and self-starter who enjoys and has a successful track record working in a fast-paced and at times ambiguous environment, and can manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Professional demeanor and ability to liaise with business leaders and leading issue experts in academia, international organizations, governments and non-governmental organizations, as well as with representatives from grassroots organizations
- Capacity to apply critical thinking, consult broadly, develop strategies, work collaboratively in a team and manage both long- and short-term objectives
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office and experience working across a range of digital platforms and tools; experience working with Salesforce would be an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in spoken and written English; additional languages would be an asset
- Passionate and committed, with a demonstrated interest in environment/sustainability issues, technology and innovation