Marine Water Quality & Ecology Modeller (Junior/Medior)
Are you a modeller of water quality and ecological processes in marine and estuarine systems? Do you enjoy working with numbers and take pride in doing a good job and avoiding mistakes? Our Environmental Hydrodynamics and Forecasting department is looking for a talented modeller to supplement our team of water quality and ecology experts in marine and coastal ecosystems!
What can you expect as a Marine Water Quality & Ecology Modeller?
In our work on national and international projects, more and more use is being made of coupled physical- biogeochemical-ecological models, as well as habitat-oriented models to provide insight into interactions between human activities and the ecosystem. We undertake a wide range of applied research and specialist consultancy projects in marine and estuarine environments related to water quality assessments and ecological impacts. Our projects are challenging and interdisciplinary. They integrate knowledge of physical processes with water quality/chemistry and ecology, to guarantee safe and sustainable water systems.
Your main activities are to:
- Use, develop and validate numerical models of water quality processes (e.g. oxygen, nutrients, primary and secondary production) in marine and estuarine systems;
- Undertake research and specialist consultancy tasks as a member of a team including analysis of modelling outcomes, comparisons with measurements, etc.;
- Assist in writing reports and preparing presentations for clients;
- Assist in project definition and acquisition;
- Actively increase the network and cooperation of the department with other groups inside and outside of Deltares.
What does Deltares expect from you as a Marine Water Quality & Ecology Modeller?
- University education (at least M.Sc. level) with a background in natural sciences or closely related field of study;
- You have sound understanding of the functioning of marine ecosystems, including water chemistry processes;
- You have a basic understanding of other fields of knowledge that relate to marine and coastal systems and are a quick learner;
- You are an excellent team player and can build interdisciplinary collaborations;
- You are an entrepreneur and a good networker, you have a pro-active approach towards the market, and you appreciate a challenge;
- Good command of English in word and writing. Good command of the Dutch language is an advantage.
Additional desirable skills
- Knowledge of and/or affinity with one or more of the following skills would be an advantage:
- Ecological processes from primary production to higher trophic levels;
- Experience with Dynamic Energy Budget (DEB) modelling;
- Experience with scripting languages such as R, Python, Matlab, etc;
- Experience with numerical computational methods;
- Some hands-on experience with the use of modelling systems for water quality and ecology in marine and estuarine environments.
Working at Deltares
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging working environment. Your personal development and building on your resume is important to us. Therefore we offer excellent training opportunities and future perspective.
Our terms of employment are competitive with a good pension scheme and 34 days of leave. We have special facilities on our campus, like daily lunch lectures, the Delta Flume and our iD-Lab (Interactive data research laboratory) and the Geochemical and Microbiological laboratory in Utrecht.
Deltares is an independent institute for applied research in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Worldwide we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society. To achieve our goals, we develop our own expertise, innovative software and services.
Deltares supports governments, industries, water boards, and municipalities in their ambitions to reduce water and energy consumption and developing and implementing sustainable energy technologies. Deltares places high demands on the quality of its knowledge and advice. Enabling Delta life is our core business.
The Marine and Coastal Systems Unit aims at enabling innovative management and sustainable development of marine and coastal zones. Extensive and in-depth knowledge of coastal processes, numerical modelling tools and a sound system understanding constitute the state-of-the-art basis for multidisciplinary research and specialised consultancy, executed for a diversity of clients (government agencies, consultants, contractors, industry, universities, research funds). In R&D and non-standard consultancy projects we combine practical relevance with high standards for quality. The unit consists of four departments, is staffed by some 100 highly-qualified and committed professionals. The department of Environmental Hydrodynamics and Forecasting (EHF) consists of 30 persons and is the department in which you will start your career at Deltares.
Are you interested in this job and do you fit the job qualifications? Then apply directly via the apply button before 31 May 2019, please upload your CV and cover letter.