ESR is a Crown Research Institute, working with and for clients and stakeholders in central and local government, industry organisations and the private sector to deliver enhanced scientific research services for the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of New Zealand. ESR has approximately 400 staff with sites in Auckland, Christchurch, Upper Hutt, and Porirua.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a team focused technician to join our successful and growing Groundwater team in Christchurch. The work you will be doing is very diverse and some of the aspects are:
- Problem-solving, particularly in relation to science methods
- Plan, collect data, analyse and report results for specific areas of work
- Maintenance of laboratory and field equipment (both mechanical and basic electrical)
- Assist in the design of groundwater contamination experiments
- Collection of water samples from wells, springs and vadose zone
- Carrying out water and solute transport experiments using laboratory columns, flumes and lysimeters
The successful applicant will have a relevant tertiary science qualification, probably in microbiology or chemistry, and computer skills, and possibly some relevant work experience in water science, preferably groundwater science. You will have to demonstrate the ability to work independently across a range of technical duties. You must also have the ability to travel/be away from home, perform weekend and after hours work on occasion, and carry out fieldwork which can range from 1 to 4 weeks per year and may be up to 1 week at a time. The role may involve heavy lifting and physical work. A current full driver's licence is also required for this role.