Senior Associate Scientist I (Water Management)
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
Under the minimal direction of the Senior Scientist- Water Management) the successful candidate will coordinate the activities on participatory science and technology evaluations on sustainable water management, production practice and surveys across different projects; extend knowledge and provide technical backstopping in implementation of project activities at landscape level, responsible for preparing technical literature and training modules, develop and organize ToTs and hands'-on-training, workshops, meetings and other platforms for knowledge sharing on key agricultural technologies/ interventions; contribute to and lead the research activities by conceptualizing, planning, and conducting research studies at NARES sites including preparation, improvement and/or development of necessary protocols, research tools, data collection, analysis and interpretation/manuscript preparation, and report compilation.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop, manage, and oversee implementation of strategies in accordance with agreed objectives, outputs, and time lines as reflected in approved impact pathway documents
- Coordinate the activities to conduct participatory science and technology evaluations and research across various projects in the field of water management, cropping system designing and environmental sustainability
- Plan and manage the implementation of research/research support service activities of the projects including data collection for development and validation of water management technologies.
- Manage and guide the implementation of research support activities to ensure timely data collection, management, analysis and dissemination of result and information.
- Contribute to development of new projects.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with various stakeholders including farmers, NARES partners, donors to implement activities to meet the agreed project outputs and time lines
- Provide strategic direction to NARES partners and to coordinate the activities for increasing the capacity of these partners in line with project objectives
- Participate in Institute wide activities and represent IRRI at various meetings or events
- Promote the dissemination of IRRI findings on sustainable water management through workshops and popular communication channels
- Consolidate/synthesize and finalize reports for submission to donors / partners and other stakeholders
- Lead the preparation and presentation of research findings related to the project in various formats and forums
- Prepare technical literatures and publish in scientific journals and/or web-based publications, the research findings and results
- Finalize draft reports for submission to supervisor and stakeholders
- Manage and develop team members to ensure professional growth
- PhD. in Water management/Agronomy with minimum 6 years of overall relevant experience in agriculture research, water management, environmental science, project or program coordination,
- MS in Agronomy with minimum 10 years of overall relevant experience in agriculture research, water management, environmental science, project or program coordination)
- Has extensive proven technical proficiency in conducting research experiments/surveys at landscape scale
- Proven skills to analyze spatial and temporal data on environmental indicators at landscape scale
- Has strong skills of project management and report compilation
- Has strong collaboration skills and has experience in creating long-term partnerships
- Has excellent leadership skills
- Has excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Has strong international publications in high impact journals
- Has experience to work in different Asian countries
- Has experience writing project proposals
- Familiarity of GIS/RS tools