Philippines nationals: Agriculture and Environment Sector Specialist
FAO’s approach to development assistance in Mindanao focuses on supporting the rehabilitation of agriculture and fisheries-based livelihoods, accelerating agriculture-based enterprises and increasing access to sustainable energy, and resilience to risk in municipalities affected by natural disasters and conflict. FAO interventions will include, among others:
• Introduction of various productivity enhancing technologies to improve household incomes and promote sustainable agricultural practices.
• Technical assistance to government in reviewing existing policies that promote equitable agribusiness venture arrangements between farmers and agribusiness firms and capacity building activities for farmers that are anchored on the value chain approach.
• Capacity building on enterprise development and agribusiness that will allow farmers, fisherfolk and local government units to maximize potential market opportunities.
• Restoring and increasing the productivity of agriculture and fisheries-based livelihoods of smallholder farmers and marginalized fishers, decommissioned Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) combatants and their families
Enhancing the competitiveness of farm households, particularly women, to establish and manage microenterprises
• Facilitating the establishment of agribusiness enterprises with production-market contract agreements or similar arrangements
The Agriculture and Environment Sector Specialist will be under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), and the day to day guidance of the FAO Liaison/Coordination Specialist, in close collaboration with the Mindanao and Emergency Response and Preparedness Group Team Leader and FAO Cotabato Team.
FAO has been implementing various projects in Mindanao which are guided by the FAO Mindanao Strategic Programme for Agriculture/Agribusiness and an emergency/rehabilitation project for Marawi City and other affected municipalities. The MSPAA strategies for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) are in line with the Bangsamoro Development Plan (BDP, 2015) which FAO has also provided technical assistance in crafting the Economy and Livelihood component of the BDP. FAO will provide support to BARMM Ministries in areas related to our technical fields of expertise, including provision of technical support to the sectoral planning, capacity building for officials and local extension workers, and the development/implementation of socioeconomic packages and job generation/quick impact agricultural and environmental livelihood interventions for affected population and combatants.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Agriculture and Environment Sector Specialist shall perform the following responsibilities:
• Ensure that FAO fulfills its mandate as a technical organization including advocacy of its programmes and priorities in relation to promoting sustainable peace and development, in both humanitarian and development contexts
• Ensure representation and strategic positioning of FAO in relevant priority areas where it has comparative advantage through establishing close coordination with key agencies in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), including among others the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Agrarian Reform (MAFAR) and Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources and Energy (MENRE); and other relevant government agencies;
• Provide strategic and technical guidance and support to BARMM agencies, such as MAFAR, MENRE and other concerned ministries in relation to promoting sustainable management and competitive utilization of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (AFF) and environment and natural resources (ENR) , including among others the preparation of development and sectoral plans, ensuring coordination among sectoral ministries and BTA and maintaining FAO positioning in relevant areas;
• Endeavour to facilitate the inclusion or participation of FAO and consequently represent FAO, where possible, in relevant technical and sectoral meetings and working groups established by MAFAR, MENRE and other concerned BARMM sectoral ministries, JNC, OPAPP-Cotabato and other relevant government agencies located in BARMM in relation to promoting sustainable management and competitive utilization of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (AFF) and environment and natural resources (ENR) ;
• Initiate/conduct regular consultations/dialogues with relevant government agencies, development partners/ donors, and stakeholders including private sector;
• Contribute to increasing the visibility of FAO and liaising with relevant government authorities, UN agencies, donors and other stakeholders to ensure relevance and active engagement of FAO.
• Represent FAO in technical meetings/workshops and other activities in relation to promoting sustainable management and competitive utilization of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (AFF) and environment and natural resources (ENR) in BARMM, as well as other UN initiated coordination meetings, dialogues and related events;
• Provide timely information on issues, programs and initiatives of interest or relevance to FAO Representation Office including regular updates on extraordinary events or emergency crises that may arise;
• Proactively identify opportunities for resource mobilization and partnerships, prepare proposals and expand the existing programme;
• Inform or alert the FAO Representative of any emerging issue or developments of significant interest to FAO and seek guidance on appropriate action or response.
• Participate in planning, strategy development and resource mobilization work including dialogue with donor institutions and development partners as well as with other UN agencies.
• Submit succinct weekly updates on the liaison activities with the BTA and other BARMM sectoral ministries, JNC, OPAPP, and other relevant government agencies, UN agencies and other stakeholders.
• Perform any other tasks/functions that may be assigned by the FAO Representative, and the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme).
• The candidate must have a University degree (Master degree preferred) in the field of agriculture, biodiversity, environment and natural resources, and other related fields
• At least 5 years professional and practical experience in the planning and implementation of rural development programmes/projects at the field level
• Language requirement: Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Tagalog
• A national of Philippines
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Proven knowledge and experience of Mindanao and Emergency Response in the Philippines.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute complex processes across a wide range of stakeholders, advance ability to work quickly and under pressure.
• Good experience in managing a team
• Must be familiar with the local rural setting in Mindanao