Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub (ETOH), which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS ETOH activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply and financial management.
Accordingly, the Proposal Developer will be responsible for assisting in the development of programmes and projects. S/he will be responsible for ensuring documents are high quality, professional in content and presentation, well-structured, and grammatically correct.
The Proposal Developer will develop, in consultation with ETOH senior management, a detailed work plan that will include undertaking the following tasks, and other relevant activities.
- Review literature relevant to the topic under development. Provide a comprehensive background about the context, program rationale and statement of the problem.
- Review of previous and ongoing similar and/or related and/or interfacing projects in order to identify gaps, areas of improvement and instil lessons learnt into the proposal. These will also provide inputs for the determination of baselines for the logical framework.
- As required, help conduct problem tree analyses and validation workshops with key partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- As required, help conduct field visits in target areas to carry out assessments relevant to existing and proposed projects and programs, and based on the relevant strategic and program key performance indicators.
- Design a packaged project solution that can address the objectives stated in the concept note that will be provided by UNOPS or call for proposals.
- Write detailed conceptual framework, innovative program model and/or known to be effective in other areas. It should provide for a distinguishable project with clear value-addition from ongoing projects and programmes in the same field, demonstrating a clear comparative advantage of the role of UNOPS.
- Clearly articulate the anticipated partners’ roles and assign tasks in accordance with the mandate area of each partner organisations (in case of joint project proposals).
- Develop a cohesive, credible and coordinated programme with clear objectives and strategies of implementation. With clear outline what has to be undertaken during implementation (if phases are recommended show clearly the connection of phases and activities).
- Develop M&E plan with clear theory of change, evaluation criteria and indicators for monitoring and evaluation of the proposed program intervention.
- Prepare the human resource needs for the implementation phase.
- Prepare the budget for the activities stated in the proposal.
- Present the initial draft proposal to the members of the team and enrich the proposal after getting feedback.
- As required, the Proposal Developer will follow guidelines, templates and formats dictated by donors.
- Work closely with the personnel assigned by the team and meet the deadline for application submission
– MSc and above in Water Resource, Sanitation Engineering, or related fields.
– A combination of a Bachelor’s degree in relevant area with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above
- At least 7 years of extensive experience in proposal writing, report writing, or graphic design services in the field of water resource, or sanitation engineering, or related projects required. This should include strong programme design skills, including capacity to prepare logical, coherent, and consistent documents, including results frameworks and budgets.
- Prior demonstrated experience developing proposals for donors required.
- Background of demonstrated success in designing proposals for international donors, governments, foundations and other bilateral and multilateral development partners strongly preferred. This will need to include scoping, reviewing, analysing, and integrating existing plans, projects, and areas of expertise.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with project members in various locations and from multiple organizations, including remotely writing and revising proposal documents strongly preferred.
- Ability to integrate different experiences, methodologies, and approaches from a diverse range of stakeholders, organizations, and technical experts from multiple sectors strongly preferred.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required. Fluency in either Amharic, Arabic and French would be considered a serious asset.
Excellent writing skills
Ability to perform analysis and synthesis
Record management skills
Microsoft Office proficiency
Knowledge of Adobe Indesign or VISIO or similar software would be considered a serious asset