About the Organisation
Water For People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency.
Water For People India programs have been implemented in 26 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Odisha and Assam. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water For People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water For People India implements programs directly and also through locally registered non-government organizations.
Water For People India Trust (hereafter referred to as Water For People – India) came into existence in 2008. Water For People India Trust is an affiliate of Water For People USA.
The Project Engineer will manage Water For People India Trust initiatives involving renovation, retro-fittings and innovations in initiatives on community sanitation facilities, School WASH, water systems (community water points, roof top rainwater harvesting systems) and community management of pipe water supply schemes. As a core team member of a multi-disciplinary team, the Project Engineer will work with the teams in West Bengal, Odisha and Assam. The position will be a member of the Core Technical Group at Water For People India.
The Project Engineer will lead a team of 2 to 3 Site Engineers/Supervisors in pre-planning, planning, implementation and monitoring the progress of all works, with special emphasis on innovations, quality and timeliness for accomplishment. The position should be willing to travel extensively, demonstrate team management and decision making skills.
As a core team member, the Project Engineer will provide leadership, technical oversight to the project team, engaged stakeholders such as contractors, masons and community based institutions (village level committees) and any local partnerships for smooth execution of the planned activities. The position will ensure social, financial, environmental and technical effectiveness for all civil works, and their further operations and maintenance by local institutions.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
The following are the key responsibilities of Project Engineer:
DPR preparation -
• Preparation of Detailed Project Report (technical Design, Drawings and estimates) for school and community WASH program which includes toilets and drinking water (drinking water station, hand pumps etc.) in consultation with Site Engineer/Supervisor.
• Prepare plan and estimates of renovation works for existing school and community toilet.
Support in Implementation
• Provide technical support to the project team, contractors and masons to understand the plan, designs, specifications, and estimates.
• Provide handholding support to the project team and masons in executing of the planned activities by explaining the construction techniques /procedures for proper implementation.
• Ensuring regular quality check in respect to material used, mortar mix ratio, concrete mix ratio, wall alignments, perfection with measurements, horizontal and vertical levels, slopes, parallel and perpendicular checks, etc., and provide the support to execute the quality work.
• Support in drafting of tender document and tendering of work.
Training and Capacity Building-
• Develop training module for training of masons, Internal and external staff.
• Train and Assist the masons and contractors to follow and comply with provided / recommended specifications for construction.
• Provide technical training to internal and external staff.
• Responsible in monitoring all civil works and Sanitary Surveillance for timely completion of the activities.
• Undertake regular field visits to construction sites to supervise, support staff to lead smooth execution of the project activities and accomplish the targets as per the Plan of Action.
• Support reporting line to monitor and review the progress of the project and effectively act to meet necessary requirements relating to the programme goal, objectives.
• Support in providing monthly progress report of all civil works to the line manager.
• Assessment of water and sanitation needs of the targeted schools and communities.
• Support team in conducting study and review report and Any other tasks as assigned by the Line Manager
Education/Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering , from an accredited university
• At least 2 to 4 years of working experience with good understanding on WASH issues
Skills and Competencies:
• Connects to the Mission – embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development
• Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
• Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – shows empathy, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
• Action-oriented – has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
• Manages through Ambiguity - demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
• Self-confident - handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching
Duty Station & Travel Time:
The duty station for the said position is mainly at Water For People India Trust Office ,West Bengal. The position comprise of 60 % of the field work and 40 % office work for necessary report and documentation. The field work involves regular visit to all project sites, locations of partners, concern government departments and stakeholders and also responsible to visit other project areas of Water For People as and when required
Application Process & Last Date
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to by or before 19th May 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Project Engineer” in the subject line
Water For People India is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages diversity among staff. Well qualified women candidates, are encouraged to apply.