Albania ratified the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 1994, Kyoto Protocol in 2005 and signed the Paris Protocol in 2016. Ministry of Tourism and Environment (MoTE) of Albania has been allocation main responsibility on formulation and implementation of the environmental policies including policies on climate change in Albania. Nevertheless due a complex character of the policy on climate change all policies and measures are being formulated and implemented in close cooperation with several line ministries represented in the Inter-Ministerial working group on Climate Change. Against this background MoTE is also acting as the National Focal Point to UNFCCC for Albania. Under the Decision 17/CP.8 and the Decision 2/CP17 Albania as a non-Annex I party to the UNFCCC should prepare and submit its National Communications and Biennial update reports on climate change to the UNFCCC. In 2016 Albania already submitted the Third National communications on climate change. Currently the Ministry of Tourism and Environment is in the process of preparation of the Fourth National Communication (4NC) and First Biennial update report (1BUR) on Climate Change.
Preparation of the 4NC and 1BUR for the first time since Albania was declared as a middle income country tables new challenges to collect specific data and information in order to draft the specific chapters of the reports. Local experts already involved with preparation of the TNC will need to address several ambiguities and doubts, familiarize themselves with more international case studies, lessons, learnings and best practices. Amidst these concerns, it is appropriate to work towards country specific data and information in order to report on climate change to the UNFCCC. Ministry of Tourism and Environment as the implementing governmental agency of the 4NC and 1BUR intends to utilize this reporting mechanism as an opportunity to establish a solid mechanism to retrieve the relevant data not only to comply with its reporting commitments in the future, but also to benefit from such information in formulation of evidence based policies addressing the climate change.
The project for preparation of the 4NC and 1BUR on climate change is a logical continual step towards further implementation of the UNFCCC at national level. Its main objective is to support Albania to prepare the comprehensive report on the climate change related data and information. The country still reports to the UNFCCC as a Non-Annex I parties. A year 2010 was selected as a base year for reporting. Preparation of both 4NC and the 1BUR will built upon previous studies, self-assessment exercises and will closely follow the UNFCCC Guidelines. Both reports will enable Albania to present the updated information on the implementation of the Convention in a consistent, transparent and comparable manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
The junior expert will assist the project with data gathering, assessment and communication in three different areas respectively 1) Climate Change Policy and Legislation, Gender mainstreaming and Communication, 2) Climate change mitigation (energy, transport, forestry, agriculture, industrial processes, waste, uncertainty analysis) and 3) Climate change adaptation (climate modelling, climate scenario developing, socio-economic, water resources, population, tourism, health, agriculture, forestry, disaster risk management, coastal zone management, GIS).
She/He will fulfil the following tasks:
- Assist to information and relevant data management :
- Using publically available data, contribute to data gathering and assessment for the needs of update of the “National Circumstances” and “Others” chapters of the 4NC & 1BUR, including the (i) Integration of climate change in social, economic and environmental policies, (ii) Technology Transfer; (iii) Climate Change Research and Systematic Observation; (iv) Education, Training and Public Awareness; (v) Capacity building; and (vi) Co-operation with Annex II Parties and International Institutions.
- Contribute with relevant data and when required assist on distribution and compilation of questionnaires directed to an impact assessment to identify different needs and challenges of man and woman with respect to mitigation and adaptation to climate change.
- Assist with distribution and compilation of questionnaires contributing to design of appropriate strategies for engagement with the public throughout the country to build the confidence in publications on climate change.
- Following the request of the relevant experts contribute to data gathering serving the needs of the GHG emission inventory and projections by sharing knowledge of drivers of the country economic growth, information on structure of the economy, etc.
- Following the request of the relevant experts, organize data so that it will be most useful for sectoral experts (agriculture, health and sanitation, water, disaster management, biodiversity/forestry and population and tourism) in preparation of climate change impacts assessments and to analyze alternative adaptation options.
- Identify and collect the relevant economic data (e.g., commodity prices, costs of sectorial infrastructure and practices) for climate impact and adaptation cost and benefit analysis.
- Monitoring, recording and updating data of climate change activities in the country, including the Vjosa river basin area.
- Assist with managing, updating and uploading data/information in relevant webpage and social media accounts (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and others).
- Support the project in organising events like field visits, meetings, trainings, awareness activities, etc.
- Support stakeholders participation and involvement, update the list of stakeholders of climate change (address and contact )
- Gather and insert data/information regarding climate change activities, keeping it up to date and distribute it to all partners (emailing list);
- Prepare meetings minutes
- Facilitate coordination with other projects and programmes working in the area;
- Assist in reporting various sub-contracted activities and services as requested in accordance with the project needs.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Sensitivity to cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age differences.
- Act as a team player while also taking individual initiative to complete outlined tasks;
- Sharing knowledge – across the programme in particular and the organization in general -through supporting the building of a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Ability to use creative and effective communication tools that captures the attention of non-technical stakeholders;
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point etc.);
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, strong cultural sensitivity and ability to work in multi-cultural environments
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong interest in working with projects in Environment fields, particularly with climate change areas projects;
- General competence and command of main office software programmes
- Internet communication and searching skills
- Social media skills (Youtube, Facebook, Instagram/ ect.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- At least 3 year work experience in data gathering and assessment, communication, coordination, information in the areas of environment and climate change or/and related fields Work experience in communication, coordination, information or/and related fields at local level
- Previous work experience in projects related to climate change and more over in the Vjosa river basin area is an advantage
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in natural sciences, environmental sciences, engineering, economics, and other related fields.
- Previous experience with UNDP /other international donors in the region will be an asset
- Good working knowledge of English and Albanian. Other languages will be an asset.
UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that would consider both the technical qualification of Individual Consultants as well as their financial proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate whose offer:
· Is deemed technically responsive / compliant / acceptable (only technically responsive applications / candidates will be considered for the financial evaluation)
· And has obtained the highest combined technical and financial scores.
Technical Criteria – 70% of total evaluation – max points: 70
Combined weighted scoring: Technical (70%); Financial (30%).
- Educational background 20 points
- Professional experience and experience in similar assignments 30 points
- Experience on climate change 20 points
Financial Criteria – 30% of total evaluation – max points: 30. Candidate obtaining the highest combined scores in the combined score of Technical and Financial evaluation will be considered technically qualified and will be offered to enter into contract with UNDP.
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position . Please paste the letter into the “Resume and Motivation” section of the electronic application.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form… www.un.org.al/sites/default/files/IC_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects or completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SC) and Individual Contracts (IC) – Blank form Download here.
- Financial Proposal in ALL – specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Lek
(The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable -qualitative and quantitative- deliverables . Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount-including travel, per diems, and number of anticipated working days)
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
*Kindly note that Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal are two separate documents and should be both part of your application.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Merge your CV or P11, Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Due to a large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.