India nationals: Participatory Natural Resource Management (NRM) Specialist
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) has approved the Government of India’s GEF6 Green Ag. Project titled, “Green-Ag: Transforming Indian agriculture for global environmental benefits and the conservation of critical biodiversity and forest landscapes”.
Therefore, the project objective is to catalyze transformative change for India’s agricultural sector to support achievement of national and global environmental benefits and conserve critical biodiversity and forest landscapes. The project will be organized around two components. The first component will strengthen the enabling framework and institutional structures to mainstream bio-diversity (BD), sustainable land management (SLM), climate change mitigation (CCM) and sustainable forest management (SFM) policies, priorities and practices into India’s agricultural sector. The second component will demonstrate replicable “Improved agricultural and conservation practices” for sustainable production, resilient livelihood advancements, habitat improvements, and delivery of tangible BD, LD, CCM, and SFM benefits.
The project will work at the national, state and pilot site levels. The project’s five demonstration states will be: i) Madhya Pradesh, ii) Mizoram, iii) Odisha, iv) Rajasthan and v) Uttarakhand. Site level project effort will focus upon high conservation priority landscapes (e.g. protected areas) within each of these states.
Under the direct supervision of the FAOR Representative in India and guidance of the National Technical Coordinator, the Participatory NRM Specialist will undertake the following duties.
Participatory NRM Specialist.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide technical support in the design and implementation of Farmer Field Schools on Landscape Governance.
• Provide technical backstopping to the implementation and functioning of Green Landscape Implementation Platform.
• Coordinate the Training of Trainers in the Green Landscape Field Schools.
• Coordinate the development of Green Landscape Field Schools’ monitoring and impact indicator formats; and design their protocols, tools, and methods.
• Provide technical support to curriculum planning and implementation for strengthening participatory and community-based land-use planning in targeted areas and landscapes, based on an analysis of the climate change vulnerability, and adaptation and mitigation capacities.
• Document and disseminate lessons learnt, including case studies (both project and other relevant experiences) and findings from Green landscape impact monitoring, and lessons captured on agrobiodiversity, green agriculture and participatory NRM.
• Work with SPMU Team and International Green Landscape expert in developing monitoring protocols and tools for data collection, and assist the Team Leader in ensuring complete documentation and report writing on all the NRM activities.
• Coordinate with the project M&E expert to assist in data collection for baseline, mid-term and end term evaluations, and for reporting on the GEF tracking tool for the five project landscapes.
• Provide relevant technical guidance to the project, as required.
• Any other work as requested by FAO
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in environment and natural resources management, or relevant subject.
• At least three to five years of demonstrable experience in preparing high quality biodiversity conservation or sustainable land management projects. Experience of working in GEF projects is an asset.
• Excellent knowledge of English language with strong oral, written and presentation skills.
• National of India
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience in research, project planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation coupled with vast knowledge and experience in Environment and Institution building.
• Proven experience in participatory processes and dialogue facilitation between Government, Development partners, private sector and civil society.
• Understanding of GEF functioning and procedures, Ex-Ante Carbon Balance Tool and Carbon monitoring process.
• Experience working with or in international non-governmental and donor organizations (UN agencies, World Bank, IFAD, Asian Development Bank, etc.) with implementation of participatory projects.
• Good analytical and report writing skills.