Program Assistant (GCF Readiness - Climate Change Action Project)
This work is part of the GCF Readiness project to support VCCI/VBRC and more broadly the Vanuatu private sector to develop its capacities to develop climate change projects. The purpose of the assignment is to support the VCCI/VBRC to deliver the activities as identified in the project document.
The position will support VCCI/VBRC in information dissemination, capacity building for private sector and facilitation of resilience building trainings for business and industry. This work will include supporting data collection and research work for the assessment of requirements for VBRC website and CRM, undertaking logistical requirements in organizing workshops, making travel arrangements for the participation of VBRC to relevant international and regional events, and supporting the Program Coordinator in implementing activities and drafting progress and system usage reports. The assistant position will help deliver specific outputs under the guidance of the Program Coordinator, the VCCI/VBRC and the GGGI Pacific staff.
Scope of Work
Under the guidance of the Program Coordinator and VBRC/VCCI the position will deliver the tasks below. The position will receive guidance VCCI/VBRC and GGGI to deliver the outputs. For matters related to project payments, invoicing and reporting, the position will closely collaborate with GGGI Pacific team for preparation of reports and seeking technical support to conform to GGGI and GCF financial and technical reporting requirements.
The following tasks below will be led by the Program Coordinator, and supported by the Program Assistant.
- To provide all logistical support for the VCCI/VBRC, including research and organizing workshops to support the overall implementation of the project (getting quotations, confirming venues, sending out invitations, etc.).
- Be responsible for office management, keep records and drafting of reports under this Project.
- Carry out data collection and support research for a VBRC website and building on existing VCCI website, support the Program Coordinator to develop and operationalize a public website/portal tailored for private sector under VBRC, including climate finance information.
- Provide support for VBRC to attend national, regional and/or international forums.
- Assist Program Coordinator in development of the climate finance Project Preparation Unit (PPU).
- Carryout research and gather data for short idea concept notes with a focus on Public-Private Partnerships.
- Provide logistic support for 2 trainings/workshops on series of basics of climate change and resilient development to strengthen knowledge of at least 30 business owners, manager or employees, at least 40% of which will be women.
- Provide logistic support for 1 training/workshop on building climate resilience in agriculture and tourism sectors to each province (6) to strengthen knowledge of at least 30 business owners/farmers/workers in each sector, at least 40% of which will be women.
- Undertake research on building resilience knowledge management materials for local private sector.
There are 3 key activities under the project as laid out below. The Program Assistant is primarily responsible for supporting the deliverables of Activity 1 and assisting with reporting and logistics for the whole project. In particular, the Program Assistant is responsible for:
Activity 1: Institutional capacity building for the Private Sector
- Support the Program Coordinator in delivery internal quarterly progress report outlining results of activities to date as per the project document, and support GGGI in reporting to the GCF.
- Support the Program Coordinator and VCCI/VBRC in the establishment a live, client-facing website / portal developed and operational with useful information on climate finance for the private sector by month 6 of the assignment.
- Periodic (quarterly) usage reports showing activity/use of the website.
- Assist the Program Coordinator and VCCI/VBRC to prepare an appropriate Customer Relationship Management (CRM) information system for VBRC by month 6.
- Support the Program Coordinator and VCCI/VBRC in the procurement and operationalization of the CRM by month 12.
- Activity monitoring records produced showing usage of CRM by month 12.
- Support appropriate representative/s of VBRC to attend at least 2 relevant international and 2 regional events to learn, participate and report back to members by month 12.
- Assist the Program Coordinator to prepare a report/presentation of participation and lessons learned produced and shared with private sector and VBRC members by month 12.
- Support the Program Coordinator to assist VCCI to better incorporate resilience building and CCDRR activities by month 7.
Activity 2: Creation of Project Preparation Unit and development of project concept note
- Support the Program Coordinator in the development of a TOR for the climate finance PPU.
- Support the Program Coordinator in delivery of quarterly progress report outlining results of activities to date as per the project document, and support GGGI in reporting to GCF.
Activity 3: Strengthening knowledge on business resilience
- Undertaking logistical requirements in organizing workshops.
- Support the Program Coordinator in delivery of internal quarterly progress reports outlining results of activities to date as per the project document, and support GGGI in reporting to the GCF.
- Minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Climate and Disaster Risk Management or other related field.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in development/implementation of projects involving private sector.
- Experience in advocacy and representation at the local, national, regional and/or international level.
- Demonstrable relationship management and networking experience.
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written).
- Excellent command of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Workshop logistics and management experience.
- Experience in climate change and/or disaster risk management projects would be an advantage.
- Understanding of the climate change sector, including how climate change impacts Vanuatu and mitigation and adaptations options would be an advantage.
- Previous experience in similar work in Vanuatu would be an advantage.
- Project: GCF Readiness - Mobilizing the Vanuatu Private Sector Towards Climate Change Action
- Category: Program Assistant - Technical & Administrative Support
- Duty Station: VANUATU – Vanuatu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI)
- Contract Length: 12 months, full time consultant expecting to start in May 2019
- Contract Value: Daily rated at US$90/day for 251 days (12 Months)