Philippines nationals: Civil Engineer (Water Supply Specialist)
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Government of the Philippines (government) has requested ADB to provide emergency assistance combining a $400 million Emergency Assistance Loan (EAL) and $8 million in grants to support the reconstruction of Marawi. The emergency assistance (ERRM) is structured to provide the government with immediate and flexible financing to implement programs, projects and activities (PPAs) included in the Bangon Marawi Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Recovery Program (BMCRRP). The ERRM comprises of four outputs: (i) fiscal support to meet new public spending needs arising from the government’s recovery program; (ii) reestablishing connectivity in Marawi by building back better public infrastructure; (iii) restoring water utilities and health infrastructure to help improve the wellbeing of the community; and (iv) improving social services and livelihoods to affected persons.
Seven (7) national consultants will be engaged by LWUA through selection of individual consultant (SIC), according to Procurement Regulations for ADB Borrowers (2017, as amended from time to time), to provide full-time and/or intermittent, continuing support to LWUA-PMU as need arises in (i) project coordination (ii) procurement and contract management, (iii) review of consultant and contractor outputs, (iv) construction and works review and supervision and (v) finance.
Scope of Work
A Project Management Unit (PMU) for the water component under Output 3 will be established within LWUA premises. The LWUA-PMU will be responsible for the smooth management and coordination of the project activities and administration, including
- Planning and budgeting,
- monitoring and coordination
- construction and rehabilitation supervision,
- maintaining all project documents,
- maintaining the imprest/advance account,
- submitting required progress reports, annual audit reports, and financial statements as per agreed frequency and in proposed format, and for ensuring that the project outcomes and outputs are achieved as planned and within agreed schedule and budget.
It will be composed of individual experts to be hired under the grant component headed by a project manager (PM) to be appointed by LWUA Administrator and will be supported by LWUA administrative staff.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
Preparation of Concept Design and masterplans:
- In coordination with LWUA PMU and other project stakeholders (ADB, DPWH, LGUs, others), monitor and review the outputs and documents delivered by the consulting firm (concept design, master plan, capacity development plan) as well as from the contractor and give recommendations on variations and changes;
- Ensure that the prepared documents and recommendations by the consulting firm are in accordance with the approved contract and standards;
- Ensure that masterplan and concept design for water supply systems are in accordance with the gathered data and LWUA standards;
- Review and recommend appropriate action on consultant’s request and submissions;
- In coordination with the PM and other stakeholders supervise and monitor the activities of the third party contractor:
- Ensure that the DED is consistent with the approved concept design and LWUA standards; review and recommend approval or appropriate action on the contractor’s submitted DED;
- Ensure that the contractor has mobilized required key experts/workers, approved materials and equipment that are consistent with the scheduled construction activities;
- Monitor and supervise the MCWD rehabilitation works and ensure that the consultant and contractor are undertaking their respective tasks in accordance with the approved contracts and standards;
- Take responsibility in construction supervision of civil works, rehabilitation of water sources and reservoirs and satisfactory completion of other project related activities agreed upon between LWUA and the contractor;
- Review and recommend appropriate action for the LWUA PM in the review of submitted requests for billings, variation orders and other related documentation;
- Ensure that the contractor is adhering with the environmental management plan, social or resettlement management plan, occupational health and safety requirements and gender action plan;
- Ensure that the religious and cultural requirements in the area are being respected;
- Participate in the project meetings and provide appropriate guidance and recommendation on the water supply components, as need arises;
- Assists in review and certification of accomplishments and project completion;
- Perform other tasks as may be requested by the Project Manager.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Licensed Civil Engineer
- At least 15 years work experience in the design and construction supervision of water supply projects;
- Familiar with the Philippines approved standards and implementation of water supply system from source development, design and implementation of reservoirs, transmission and distribution lines, treatment facilities and service connections;
- Familiar with LWUA standards on civil works component on water supply;
- Knowledgeable on the structural design, layout and materials of facilities for water supply and distribution system;
- Willing to travel to and in Mindanao, particularly in Marawi City, including for an extended period of time.
As contract will be with LWUA, shortlisted candidates are required to submit the financial proposal and the following documents as mandated by law: 1) Philgeps registration for local consultants or equivalent eligibility document in the case of foreign consultants, 2) Omnibus Sworn Statement in the prescribed format, 3) Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) Certificate of Registration and 4) Tax Clearance.