Sri Lanka nationals: Hydrologist for Pre-Feasibility Study (Phase 1) of Proposed Lower Pali Aru Reservoir
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The National Water Supply and Drainage Board intends to call financial proposals (remuneration and per diem) from the individual consultants to provide expert services to carry out pre-feasibility studies for the construction of lower Pali Aru Reservoir.
The study of lower Pali aru reservoir is proposed to carry out in two phases as follows;
Phase 1: Pre-Feasibility Study
In the Phase 1, the Pre-Feasibility study is proposed to carry out by individual consultants. This study is to carry out a detailed hydrological study and geotechnical study in order to identify a location to construct a reservoir across lower Pali aru and assessing the capacity of reservoir with a conceptual design of dam and spill way structure and recommendation for further studies.
Phase 2: Feasibility Study
In the Phase 2, the detailed study shall be carried out based on outcome of Phase 1 pre-feasibility study and submit the necessary documents to construct a reservoir and water treatment plant. This study shall be carried out in detail with respect to technical, environmental and social aspects and produce the feasibility report, detail design reports, working drawings and bid document.
This Terms of Reference (TOR) below outline the scope of the work, responsibilities of individual consultants to carry out the Pre-Feasibility Study to achieve the tasks and to produce the deliverable such as the pre-feasibility report with conceptual design, tentative cost estimate within the stipulated period of five months.
In this Phase 1 – Pre Feasibility Study four individual consultants are proposed to involve to develop the Pre-Feasibility Study Report. One of the individual consultant with the capacity of Water Resources Engineering shall act as Team Leader and the team shall comprise of Hydrologist, Geo technical Engineer and Environmental Specialist. Further above mentioned expert team shall assist with Engineering Assistant, GIS specialist, CAD person and Secretary.
The detailed scope of the study, output of the work and facilities to be provided by the Client are described in sections below. The detailed scope of the study and output of the work of other experts are described in Annex 1.
Objectives of the Consultancy Service under Phase 1
The objectives of the Consultancy Service in respect of this pre-feasibility study is to formulate a composite project proposal to optimize the water resource under lower Pali aru river basin by constructing a reservoir to meet the demand taking into consideration of technical, social and environmental aspects with necessary documents required for next phase of detailed study. Accordingly, it is proposed to engage the service of individual consultant for a pre-feasibility study of proposed Pali aru reservoir.
Please follow the below link to download the EOI, TOR and annexes https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yakqa2cnAijVsMOxmqJLWVsPkHDSmPJU...
Scope of Work
Scope of the Consultancy Service
- Review the relevant previous studies / reports
- Carry out hydrological and hydraulic studies and determine the parameters of the reservoir and spillway
- Undertake the topographical survey for dam axis with cross section and Longitudinal section including the site survey of the proposed spill way
- Undertake geotechnical studies
- Carryout borrow area investigations
- Prepare the pre-feasibility stage design and conceptual drawings
- Compute tentative cost estimate
- Carry out economic analysis
- Undertake social assessment with resettlement and land acquisition requirement
- Carry out environmental assessment and prepare Basic Information Questionnaire (BIQ) for the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
The tasks of Hydrologist include, but not limited to;
- Establish daily rainfall-run off model using hydrological models and deriving the capacity of reservoir.
- Generate inflow series and carry out operation studies and establish the FSL of the reservoir.
- Based on finalized return period of flood, establish the flood flows through the spillway and determine the spill way capacity / number of gates and HFL. etc
- Finalize the sluice / spillway energy dissipation measures and establish parameters for the spillway stilling basin and further energy dissipation measures along the spillway canal
- Prepare hydrological and hydraulic analysis report
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Minimum General Experience : 15 Years
- Minimum Project Related Experience : 05 Years
- Minimum National Government Organizations’ Experience : 03 Years
The individual consultant should preferably be a Qualified Graduate Civil Engineer having a strong background in the following subjects: Hydrology, Rainfall – runoff modelling with strong analytical mind set. Having Post Graduate qualification in Hydrology and membership in recognized professional institution would be an added advantage.