Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is an ecumenical, diaconal, humanitarian and non-profit Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) mandated by churches and Christian organizations in Norway to work for global justice, by empowering the poor and challenging the wealthy and powerful. Together with our constituency and our partners, NCA commits to the vision: Together for a Just World. NCA provides assistance to the people of South Sudan and has been present in the country continuously since 1972.
Our projects include Peacebuilding, Reproductive Health, WASH, Community Based Teacher Training and Emergency Preparedness and Response. Our work is guided by the following values: Integrity of Creation, human dignity, global justice, inclusive communities and compassion.
NCA is looking for a suitably qualified and experienced South Sudanese national to fill the position of WASH Co-ordinator. The purpose of the WASH Co-ordinator position is to provide overall co-ordination of the NCA WASH Projects, strengthen the technical capacity of NCA field staff and the development of NCA and partners’ WASH capacity.
The WASH Co-ordinator will have the responsibility to assist and support NCA development programme to contribute to the delivery of effective and high-quality programme objectives. The job functions involve extensive travels to local operational areas in South Sudan. The WASH Co-ordinator will maintain strategic relationship with NCA Emergency Department and co-ordinate extensively with the UN WASH cluster, Government line Ministries and other relevant national WASH forums. He/she will work closely and strategically with ACT Alliance members and adhere to NCA strategic direction and policies.
The main duties will include:
- Working closely with field teams and other Country Programme team members, ensure effective planning of WASH Programme to ensure coherent WASH Programme implementation strategies including baseline data collection, monitoring and reporting of WASH Programme result and targets.
- Co-ordinating with field offices and maintaining a clear overview to ensure smooth implementation of WASH Programme and WASH Programme designs.
- Working closely with Emergency Programme staff and partners to support a seamless WASH implementation from emergency through recovery to development, by ensuring in-built practice of Linking Relief, Rehabilitation, Recovery and Development (LRRD) for WASH. This will mean fostering integration between existing emergency and recovery or development initiatives, to realise robust WASH outcomes.
- Supporting in budget monitoring and planning and ensuring that WASH Programme budgets are managed effectively, and that expenditure is within the allocated budget lines and that planned programmes contributes to the Country Work Plan.
- Supporting in programme development for WASH component and ensure that budgets and programme plans are aligned and properly budgeted for.
- Ensuring coherent implementation of NCA South Sudan WASH programmes in a manner that links to NCA Country and Global Strategy.
- Ensuring that NCA WASH programmes are effectively co-ordinated and that proper systematic WASH assessments are undertaken before implementation, and that programme plans are reflected in identified needs to achieve impact.
- Support the development of WASH staff and partners’ capacity through systematic and consistent capacity assessments, training and capacity development initiatives including but not limited to accompaniment, training and mentoring.
- Ensuring that work plans and reports are produced, submitted, followed up or revised and submitted as required (quarterly, bi-annually and annually), both by field staff and partners.
- Building and strengthening country and field level relationships with partner agencies and other agencies of strategic importance to optimise NCA WASH results and enhance NCA visibility.
- Working flexibly within the team environment of NCA South Sudan Country Office and supporting partners in other tasks in agreement with the Head of Programmes.
- Ensuring regular collection of field information from partners and communities to improve coordination, prioritization of programme needs and documenting these to demonstrate programme impact.
- Leading and supporting in the development of standardized technical drawings and bills of quantities for WASH facilities to help improve the quality and consistency of our WASH programmes.
- Ensuring that WASH Programme reports are evidence based as well as ensuring the coordination of sector wide reporting on WASH programme sector.
Education and Skills
- A University Degree in a relevant engineering discipline. Preference will be given to candidates with specific degree in Civil and Water Engineering or Hydrogeology.
- Post-graduate WASH related qualifications, and at least three years’ experience in a similar position, including experience of managing people.
- Confident with Microsoft Office packages.
- Knowledge of use of computers for engineering drawings (CAD).
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Clear leadership style.
- Excellent attention to detail, with organisational skills, maturity and the ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Professional and friendly communication style, with the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 23rd May 2019.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit the following documents along with their application:
- A cover letter with full contact details, explaining why they are suitable for the position.
- A current CV.
- Copies of academic qualification certificates.
- Three references, which should include their current or most recent Supervisor.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications should be submitted by e-mail to:
with copies to and
or hand-delivered to Norwegian Church Aid Office, Buluk, Juba, Republic of South Sudan.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position is open to South Sudanese citizens only.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.