WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 884 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who still do not have clean water close to home.
Since our founding in 1981, we've already empowered 25.8 million people with clean water. That's 25.8 million more healthy and independent people in the world. It’s a great start but we have so much more work to do. With your help, we can end the water crisis.
WaterAid America’s New York office is seeking an energetic Philanthropy Associate to help increase our impact by growing support from high-level donors through strategic cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
Reporting to the Philanthropy Officer, this role functions within a high-energy, fast-paced environment. To be successful, the Associate will possess a strong work ethic and sound judgement, and will be a creative problem-solver, excellent communicator, and bring an appetite to learn.
The Associate is expected to take ownership of their work and have high personal expectations. Evening, weekend work and international travel (<10%) may be required.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone eager to break into the international development sector and/or fundraising profession while working on one of the world’s most urgent – and solvable - crises.
Specific duties & responsibilities include:
- Draft and distribute high-quality communications, including profiles and stories from the field for the quarterly newsletter, impact reports and annual appeals;
- Support the planning, budgeting and execution of cultivation events and bi-annual program visits;
- Research prospective supporters and analyze wealth & giving data to develop stewardship and cultivation strategies;
- Prepare fundraisers for supporter meetings;
- Develop and implement a strategy to grow pipeline of Family and Community Foundations;
- Oversee, input, manage and analyze the portfolio’s data in Raiser’s Edge;
- Support the Philanthropy Officer to track income and expenses attributed to the portfolio’s work;
- Generate timely gift acknowledgements;
- Deliver excellent customer service to donors via phone, email or at in-person events.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Undergraduate degree and/or equivalent work experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Sharp attention to detail and superb organizational skills;
- Creative problem-solving skills, resilience and adaptability;
- Ability to manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously;
- Professional demeanor in communicating on behalf of and representing WaterAid;
- Flexible in working as part of a diverse team while leading on specific tasks/ responsibilities;
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these;
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
We are particularly interested in candidates possessing:
- Experience working in non-profit development and/or supporting key relationships;
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge (or other CRM);
- Proficiency in a foreign language (Spanish, French, etc.).
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
WaterAid offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other insurances; paid-time off; and 403(b) retirement.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to , using ‘Philanthropy as the subject of the email. Deadline: 30th May
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the US.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.