Corporate Development Officer
WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 884 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who still do not have clean water close to home.
Since our founding in 1981, we've already empowered 25.8 million people with clean water. That's 25.8 million more healthy and independent people in the world. It’s a great start but we have so much more work to do. With your help, we can end the water crisis.
WaterAid America’s New York office is seeking an entrepreneurial Corporate Development Officer to join the Strategic Partnerships Team (SPT), which annually raises $15M in support of WaterAid’s global mission.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Partnerships, the Officer will pursue new business development and support donor stewardship. S/he will also lead employee engagement and workplace giving campaigns, with a dedicated goal to renew and increase income. S/he will create proposals and reports (narratives, pitch decks, budgets), represent WaterAid at networking events, and present WaterAid’s work to external audiences.
This role functions within a high-energy, fast-paced environment. To be successful, the Officer will possess a strong work ethic, sound judgement, and excellent communication skills (verbal and written). The Officer should also be a creative problem-solver who is able to identify potential within ambiguity and make steady progress towards the Team’s goals.
The Officer is expected to take ownership of their work and have high personal expectations. Evening and/or weekend work is occasionally required.
This is an excellent opportunity for a fundraising professional to work on one of the world’s most urgent – and solvable - crises.
Specific duties & responsibilities include:
- Secure, manage and grow unrestricted corporate donor relationships;
- Build revenue stream through workplace giving (securing renewals and increases);
- Create and implement employee engagement programs and resources for partners;
- Manage relationships with small businesses seeking to engage and support WaterAid’s work while growing their audiences;
- Create materials to support new business development such as presentation decks, proposals and other content for engagement;
- Attend networking events and present WaterAid’s work to external audiences;
- Support the administration of grants in Raiser’s Edge and internal systems;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of funding strategies;
- Liaise and meet with donor contacts as needed;
- Identify and research prospective funding sources and activities;
- Provide overall support to the Corporate portfolio for new business development primarily through areas not covered by regional program development officers.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Undergraduate degree and/or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in non-profit fundraising;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Sharp attention to detail and superb organizational skills;
- Creative problem-solving skills, resilience and adaptability;
- Ability to manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously;
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in working with donor data;
- Professional demeanor in communicating on behalf of and representing WaterAid;
- Flexible in working as part of a diverse team while leading on specific tasks/ responsibilities;
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these;
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
We are particularly interested in candidates possessing:
- Experience working in an international NGO or within CSR;
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM;
- Proficiency in a foreign language (Spanish, French, etc.);
- Comfortable reading and interpreting budgets.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
WaterAid offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other insurances; paid-time off; and 403(b) retirement.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to , using ‘Corporate’ as the subject of the email. Deadline: 30th May
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the US.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.