Strategic Partnerships Associate
WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 884 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who still do not have clean water close to home.
Since our founding in 1981, we've already empowered 25.8 million people with clean water. That's 25.8 million more healthy and independent people in the world. It’s a great start but we have so much more work to do. With your help, we can end the water crisis.
WaterAid America’s New York office is seeking an energetic Associate to be the administrative foundation for the Strategic Partnerships Team (SPT), which annually raises $15M in support of WaterAid’s global mission.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, this role functions within a high-energy, fast-paced environment and is critical to the smooth day-to-day operations of SPT. To be successful, the Associate will possess a strong work ethic and sound judgement, and will be a creative problem-solver, excellent communicator, and bring an appetite to learn.
The Associate is expected to take ownership of their work and have high personal expectations. Evening and/or weekend work may be required.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone eager to break into the international development sector and/or fundraising profession while working on one of the world’s most urgent – and solvable - crises.
Specific duties & responsibilities include:
Support quality control processes by reviewing outgoing donor communications;
- Organize and track internal grant management processes:
- Record outgoing concept notes and proposals;
- Confirm grant deadlines and deliverables;
- Ensure gift and grant data is up-to-date in internal systems;
- Work with Finance team to reconcile income for internal reports;
- Ensure member-to-member agreements are completed and filed;
- Manage pledge reminders/invoices to ensure payment is received by anticipated due date.
- Develop, document and improve upon current policies and procedures regarding restricted income management;
- Oversee, input, manage and analyze the portfolio’s data in Raiser’s Edge;
- Support donor cultivation and communications: research and draft donor profiles; maintain rolodex of VIPs, principals and foundation contacts; generate timely acknowledgment letters;
- Maintain internal donor files, ensure that grant agreements payments, contracts, key correspondence and contacts are properly documented;
- Support the Director to coordinate team operations; manage the team calendar; take and distribute notes from the weekly team meeting; record follow-up actions; assist with travel arrangements and logistics; and prepare expense reports and reimbursements;
- Work with Operations team to ensure that office policies and procedures are followed.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Undergraduate degree and/or equivalent work experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Sharp attention to detail and superb organizational skills;
- Creative problem-solving skills, resilience and adaptability;
- Ability to manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously;
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in working with donor data;
- Professional demeanor in communicating on behalf of and representing WaterAid;
- Flexible in working as part of a diverse team while leading on specific tasks/ responsibilities;
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these;
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
We are particularly interested in candidates possessing:
- Experience working in a non-profit and/or administrative role;
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge;
- Proficiency in a foreign language (Spanish, French, etc.);
- Comfortable reading and interpreting budgets.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
WaterAid offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other insurances; paid-time off; and 403(b) retirement.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to , using ‘Associate’ as the subject of the email. Deadline: 30th May
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the US.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.