Salary: £36,830 – £46,260 grossper annum
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract – up to March 2018 with possible extension to 2020
Location: Oxford (preferred)
Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
Oxfam have led on the Department for International Development WASH Payments by Results (PbR) Programme and managed the SWIFT consortium in Kenya and DRC since 2014. SWIFT stands for sustainable water in fragile contexts and is a consortium composed of Oxfam, Tearfund, Overseas Development Institute (ODI), with support from Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) and 13 local and international NGOs. The four year programme concluded the output phase in March 2016 during which water and sanitation facilities have been constructed in rural and semi-urban locations and good hygiene practices ihave been promoted.
From April 2016 the programme continues for two more years with a strong focus on sustainability referred to as the outcome phase. The activities in this outcome phase will aim at promoting, supporting and monitoring the sustainability of WASH outcomes which were included in the original programme design.
Also, more recently SWIFT were approached by the Department for International Development to put a proposal together to extend the existing programme to new geographical areas. A proposal was put together for DRC. If SWIFT is successful in getting this new proposal, the Global Programme Manager will be responsible for coordinating the existing SWIFT programme and the new programme in DRC.
To ensure that the SWIFT consortium delivers on its objectives by coordinating the collaboration of diverse agencies for a common goal, by managing a high-performing programme team and ensuring accountability to the donor and stakeholders.
To monitor progress and ensure timely support for the outcome phase of the programme:
- Ensure implementation plans include appropriate strategies to increase the quality and sustainability of WASH service delivery;
- Preparation of technical and financial reports about progress of Outcome indicators and activities
- In collaboration with the country teams and technical advisors in country and at global level, revise implementation plans to address potential challenges/issues
To ensure, in collaboration with the Learning and Communication Officer, good coordination and cross-learning between the different field locations:
- Arrange for periodic workshops and exchange visits of personnel between the implementation sites and ensure that reports and evaluations are shared.
- Coordinate with donors and international organizations to enhance the profile of WASH best practices and ensure that learning is disseminated to partners and countries not directly involved in the programme.
To maintain an overview of finances and ensure that budgets are realistic and spending against outputs/ results is on track:
- Oversee the monitoring and management of the programme budget.
- Assemble quarterly spending plans, and quarterly statements of Oxfam expenditure.
To lead and manage the global programme coordination team, consultants and contractors to ensure efficient and timely project implementation:
- Manage a geographically dispersed team of professionals
- Recruit and induct staff as and when required.
- Conduct regular performance management and development of line managed staff
In the event of an extension of the current programme:
- Monitor progress and take such action as necessary in discussion with the country programme managers to ensure timely and high quality delivery of outputs.
- Ensure the management of risk at all levels to ensure outputs and sustainability of the programme is achieved.
We are looking for…
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent in international development or an appropriate technical area (e.g. engineering, public health, management, social sciences etc.)
- Extensive senior programme management and strategic planning experience in international development context (preferably in fragile states), preferably including WASH programme management.
- Proven track record working on large, complex multi-country and/or multi-agency development or humanitarian projects
- Direct oversight and management of large-scale budgets, donor contracts
- Multi-stakeholder coordination and/or management
- Remote management and ability to work independently and with a geographically dispersed team
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in Value for Money programming
- Excellent coordination skills such as ability to liaise with various agencies/ individuals, organize events, prioritize work and ensure a smooth flow of information, regular reports.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and networking skills.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills.
- Diplomacy and good interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Understanding of gender and diversity, and proven commitment to incorporating these concepts in programme implementation.
- Familiarity with outcome targeted MEAL techniques/approaches.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Willingness to travel for approx. 25% of time
- Experience in managing DFID programmes
- Experience of working with Payment By Results contracts
- Experience of working with surveys (at design level)
- Good knowledge of oral and written French
Applications must be submitted through the Oxfam website. For further information about the role and to apply please go to:
All applications must be submitted in English and include an English CV.
To find out more about the work we do at Oxfam GB, kindly follow the link below: