ABOUT THE LAB
The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The Lab) is a public-private initiative that identifies, develops, and launches cutting-edge climate finance instruments. It aims to drive billions of dollars of private investment into climate change mitigation and adaptation in developing countries. Since launching in 2014, The Lab and its initiatives have been endorsed by the G7 and collectively attracted over USD 500 million in seed capital.
In its next round, the Lab is launching a workstream focused on the unique climate finance needs of Brazil and Portuguese-speaking (Lusophone) African nations, which will include developing and launching 1-2 innovative financial instruments or programs with the potential to scale-up private sector investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate adaptation, and/or sustainable land-use.
To enable the successful development of climate finance instruments for Brazil and Lusophone Africa, and an impactful upcoming cycle The Lab is seeking the services of a talented and motivated consultant at the Senior Analyst level to join the Lab Secretariat, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI).
The Lab Senior Analyst will oversee the development and launch of one or more impactful, transformative financial instruments, leading a working group of Lab members and external stakeholders, and produce top-quality Lab communications, including presentations, executive summaries, and full reports.
The Lab Senior Analyst will undertake robust and careful analysis, applying, developing and refining methodologies drawing from micro- and macroeconomics, public policy, regulatory economics, finance, behavioral science, risk management, statistics, law, engineering, and other academic and commercial disciplines.
The Lab Senior Analyst will be expected to deliver high-quality outputs on time and within a budget. They will build and maintain relationships with stakeholders in the climate and energy policy sphere, and provide advice and support to Lab and CPI Senior Management.
The Lab Senior Analyst is expected to work closely with international partners from the policy, finance, and corporate spheres, as well as with CPI teams throughout the world, including a Lab Analyst, who will support the Senior Lab Analyst in instrument development and working group management tasks.
This position reports to The Lab’s Project Manager, in consultation with the Executive Director-Climate Finance.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Perform rigorous quantitative evaluation of national and international climate finance mechanisms and climate and energy policies, risk management, and interactions between public and private actors and resources
- Take primary responsibility for analysis and instrument design for one or more ideas selected by Lab members for development
- Take primary responsibility for instrument working group management and administration, and relations with Lab members and key stakeholders both the private and public sectors
- Lead the writing and editing of high-quality Lab products, including full reports, executive summaries, blogs, and presentations – Lab publications must be analytically robust but accessible to a wide audience, including actors from the development, policy, financial services and philanthropic sectors.
- Communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe
- Produce high-quality materials, within tight timelines that are fit for purpose time and within budget
- At least five years of professional experience.
- Experience analyzing climate finance, the economics of policy choices, and/or energy and climate markets. Private sector experience and/or government or multilateral experience is valuable.
- Deep knowledge of Brazilian and/or Lusophone African policy environment, energy markets, and/or key sustainable land-use and agriculture issues.
- Familiarity with climate adaptation issues and concepts strongly preferred.
- BA or BS degree required with coursework in finance, economics, and policy. Possession of Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, or a related, quantitatively rigorous field strongly preferred.
- Working fluency in English and Portuguese required
- The consultant must be able to communicate seamlessly in both languages, though for written materials, there will be an emphasis on the individual’s comprehension and writing skills in English.
- CPI is seeking the services of one consultant at the Senior Analyst level, on a contract basis for approximately nine months, with the possibility of extension into a longer-term role.
- CPI offers consultants competitive rates, based on experience
With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, followed by a writing sample of 5 pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself. Please apply in English.