The Senior Specialist, Multilateral Affairs is responsible for co-ordinating WWF’s engagement in large cross-cutting multi-lateral fora and building strong relationships with relevant institutional officials and diplomatic staff to facilitate efficient and effective engagement.
- Co-ordinates WWF’s engagement in key identified cross-cutting multi-lateral fora and processes (UN Institutions, Offices, Programmes and Conventions, G20)
- Builds strong relationships with relevant institutional officials and diplomatic staff to facilitate efficient and effective engagement of WWF in these fora
- Builds effective WWF advocacy teams with appropriate level of technical skills, seniority and regional representation, and are able tosuccessfully influence the outcomes of the multi-lateral fora
- Ensures the logistics coordination of the WWF team influencing the multilateral fora
- Drafts regular diplomatic correspondence as strategically relevant
- Represents WWF when required in external meetings or events;
- Liaises with institutional, government, other civil society and others to relay WWF positions and gather information when required
- Creates short, medium and long term opportunities to leverage the policy agenda of WWF
- Manages information on upcoming events, calendar, processes and substantive issues and acts as radar function for Head, Global Advocacy
- Ensures that appropriate advocacy strategies, briefs and policy position papers are developed in advance of key engagements in consultation with countries and technical leads, and supports the execution of these strategies
- Works with the Policy Research and Development function and the Practices to develop appropriate political briefings which are up to date with most recent geopolitical information and events and globally, regionally, nationally or thematically specific as appropriate
- Ensures that advocacy teams attending these fora are appropriately briefed and sets up high level engagement opportunities for WWF leaders
- Ensures up to date advocacy related databases (ie: contacts and events), website and information sharing platforms
- Drives follow through from commitments and opportunities elicited at these multi-lateral fora.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Masters degree or equivalent professional experience in International Affairs, Political Science, Development, Economics, Governance, Social Science, Legal or Environment studies
- At least 4 years’ experience in policy or advocacy work
- Have active contacts in the United Nations System, with key decision makers and within the WWF Network
- Deep understanding of the multilateral institutional landscape, political issues, trends and developments
- Understanding of geopolitical issues & trends and strategic relationships between governments
- Understanding of current global development trends
- Understanding of intergovernmental conventions, institutions and fora
- Sound knowledge and understanding of relationships between environment, economy and social issues in relation to development.
- Strong strategic and diplomatic skills as well as internal and external networking skills
- Good strategic sense, strong skills in anticipating future directions, ability to identify potential WWF operating space and facilitate network engagement to maximize that space
- Capacity to work rapidly and accurately under pressure and to quickly define and adhere to priorities
- Ability and enthusiasm in implementing short term but demanding tasks
- Ability to work in multicultural environment
- Discretion, reliability, flexibility, accuracy
- Capacity to work independently in an intense team environment and have good people skills
- Excellent command of English, working knowledge of French and other languages a strong advantage
- Highly computer literate, competent in use of spreadsheets and other electronic tools
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
How to apply?
Upload your covering letter and CV on LinkedIn as one file. We will not accept applications without CV and Covering Letter.
Work permit restrictions may apply. Internal candidates given priority.
Deadline for applications: 21st October 2016
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.