Aqua for All is a foundation working towards providing sustainable access to safe drinking water and good sanitation for all (Sustainable Development Goal – SDG 6) in Africa and Asia. With over 20 years of experience, we support local entrepreneurs on their scaling pathway by offering funding and access to the water sector expert network and to financiers and impact investors.
As our innovative finance work is gaining momentum, we are looking for a:
Innovative Finance Officer
36 hours per week – based in The Hague, the Netherlands
Aqua for All strives to create a sustainable and inclusive water and sanitation economy worldwide. We believe innovations, scalable solutions and access to capital are instrumental to overcome the current service delivery and finance gaps. Aqua for All bridges these gaps by supporting market-based solutions to become viable and to scale.
Since mid-2019, Aqua for All is leading the “Making Water Count’’ programme in partnership with the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which will last until mid-2024. The programme aims to achieve higher impact and mobilise public and private investments for effective water and sanitation solutions for low-income households. Under this programme, we deploy grant funding – amongst others – in selected innovative, blended finance structures targeting local SMEs and financial institutions.
We are looking for a dynamic and fast-learning candidate with a passion for social entrepreneurship and blended finance for impact. The ideal colleague will bring experience in financial inclusion, development finance and/or business development, preferably in low- and middle-income countries. Having experience in the water and sanitation economy is a plus.
You contribute to our finance for water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) pillar, enabling and creating blended finance structures to increase access to finance for water and sanitation enterprises. We work with (local) financial institutions and impact investors and use our funding to de-risk investments through first loss capital, guarantees, technical assistance, etc. You support the structuring and monitoring of our participation in selected blended finance mechanisms. You work closely with the innovative finance and impact finance managers on a functional level whereas you report to our Managing Director. You are based at our office in The Hague and will travel to countries where we are active.
This exciting role focuses on supporting the development, implementation and management of our innovative finance trajectories and includes the following responsibilities:
- Conduct background research, e.g., as part of due diligence and market research;
- Contribute to the designing, structuring, implementation and monitoring of innovative finance initiatives, like transactions with financial institutions and partner organisations in West- and East Africa and Asia;
- Prepare relevant documents for decision making and reporting purposes;
- Liaise with partners/stakeholders during the full process, from design to monitoring and final reporting;
- Support the development of guidelines and standards to develop the innovative finance practice;
- Prepare relevant documents for fundraising and communication;
- Take the lead in the coordination of the e-MFP WASH Action Group track; and
- Support partnerships with impact investors and other stakeholders.
What you bring
- A passion for making finance work to create positive impact on water and sanitation services for low-income countries and communities;
- A Bachelor or Master degree in a finance and business-related study;
- 1 up to 5 years of working experience in impact investing, financial inclusion or development finance, preferably in Africa and Asia;
- Strong analytical skills, proven business and financial analysis skills, result-oriented attitude, hands-on and entrepreneurial mindset;
- Ability to conceptualise and implement trajectories;
- Strong affinity with international development in general and the mission of Aqua for All in particular;
- Knowledge about WASH and/or climate impact is a plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others by demonstrating flexibility and openness to diverse approaches; and
- Willingness to travel to developing countries;
- Residence or working permit for EU countries.
- A position in a professional and diverse team of 30 experienced colleagues based in the Hague, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Dhaka and Bamako;
- A challenging position with room for your own ideas and personal development;
- A one-year contract with possibility of extension;
- A competitive remuneration following the salary scales of the Dutch government (‘CAO Rijk’);
- A flexible workspace as we combine working from home and from our great office in The Hague (Spaarneplein, near The Hague HS train station and 10 min. walk from The Hague Central Station).
Interested to apply?
You can send your application by email to: [email protected] before Wednesday 13 July. Please include “Innovative Finance Officer’’ in the subject line and share your motivation letter and CV. More information about the position can be obtained from Aarno Keijzer ([email protected]) or Alvaro Ma ([email protected]).