Assistant Engineer- Civil I/II
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01489-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Water Utility Capital
Closing: 7/8/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
NOTE Regarding Salary: A 3% COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) will apply as of 6-27-22
Construction Services Unit (Position Code 0519)
Assistant Engineer – Civil I: $8,365.07 – $10,701.60 monthly
Assistant Engineer – Civil II: $9,230.00 – $11,816.13 monthly
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
*To protect our most valuable assets, our employees, as well as the communities we serve, Valley Water requires all newly hired Valley Water personnel to be fully vaccinated (for COVID -19) or to be formally excused from the requirement through the **reasonable accommodation process (for details, see bottom of job posting)
Valley Water Telework Program: Eligibility for telework will depend on the type of work performed, operational needs, and the ability for the employee to perform the essential functions of their job duties while teleworking. Employment with Valley Water requires employees to live within 150 miles of their primary physical work location located in San Jose, California by their start date.
This position is eligible for a hybrid telework schedule, typically working 40% remote and 60% onsite.
Overview: Do you possess 1-2+ years of professional engineering experience related to construction projects? Do you have experience managing construction contracts? If so, read on!
Valley Water is seeking an Assistant Engineer I/II to join the Construction Services Unit of the Water Utility Capital Division. The Assistant Engineer I/II, under direct supervision, performs a variety of civil engineering duties in the management of Valley Water construction projects. They frequently serve as a member of a project team to perform a variety of professional tasks relative to managing construction contracts in accordance with various laws and codes, including evaluating construction contract change orders, reviewing and analyzing construction claims and adhering to professional codes, standards and Valley Water requirements. This position represents Valley Water and interacts with other agencies in a coordination capacity relative to specific projects.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Perform a variety of professional civil engineering duties in the management of construction contracts for Valley Water’s flood control, water production, storage, treatment, and distribution facilities and systems; to ensure work quality and adherence to professional codes, standards and Valley Water specifications.
• Provide support to Valley Water construction projects; assist in the inspection of contractor installations as necessary; provide technical support during project construction including design changes, submittal review, request for information from contractors, interpretation of contract documents and assistance with change orders; review construction contract documents as assigned.
• Conduct various engineering investigations and analyses related to construction disputes; participate in preparation of reports regarding construction disputes or issue resolution related to geotechnical, civil, mechanical, and/or electrical engineering technical issues, or construction schedule and resource issues.
• Review drawings, plans and other work submitted by external consultants and engineers for conformance with professional codes, standards and Valley Water requirements as part of a quality control process.
• Review statutes and regulations related to the construction industry; interpret and apply the regulations with respect to Valley Water and contract compliance; develop compliance strategies for regulations; may analyze proposed regulations.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
• Assistant Engineer I: None-One (0-1) year of professional civil and/or internship or public agency engineering experience.
• Assistant Engineer II: Two+ (2) years of professional civil engineering experience.
• Level I & II: Work or internship experience related to construction projects and managing construction contracts preferred.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Principles, practices, concepts, and standards of engineering as applied to assigned field/specialty of engineering.
• Principles of mathematics and its application to engineering work.
• Practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting effective and technical reports.
• Office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
• English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
• Principles and techniques for providing customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Valley Water staff.
• Apply engineering principles, practices, concepts, and standards to engineering problems.
• Prepare, understand, and interpret construction plans, specifications, drawings, and other engineering documents.
• Perform engineering calculations.
• Learn, interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations, and Valley Water engineering policies and procedures.
• Learn to conduct engineering research projects, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical reports.
• Use office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Organize and prioritize multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
• Effectively represent the unit and the Valley Water in meetings with contractors, engineers, a variety of outside agencies, and the public.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Make sound, independent decisions within established policy and procedural guidelines, and best engineering practices.
Ideal Training and Education:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a related field.
Possession of a valid California Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate with two (2) years of associated paraprofessional engineering experience.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/CS Assistant Engineer I-II Civil 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.COVID-19 vaccination requirement:* Fully vaccinated means (1) it has been at least two weeks since a person has completed the entire recommended series of a COVID-19 vaccine, and (2) the person has provided proof of vaccination in a form consistent with the requirements for verification of vaccine status in the State of California’s July 26, 2021 Public Health Officer Order.**Limited Exemptions to Vaccination RequirementAn individual who has been provided a job offer may request a reasonable accommodation to the vaccination requirement if they:1. Have a contraindication recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or by the vaccine’s manufacturer to every approved COVID-19 vaccine. A contraindication means a condition that makes vaccination inadvisable;2. Have a disability and are requesting an exception as a reasonable accommodation based upon this disability; or,3. Object to COVID-19 vaccination based on their sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/3178183
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.