Scheduled Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Job Location: This position is with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Division of Environmental Quality, Water Pollution Control Branch, Compliance and Enforcement Section and will be located at 1101 Riverside Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65101
Why you’ll love this position:
Do you wish you could do something to make the world a better place? Working for the Missouri Department of Natural Resources gives you the opportunity to protect human health and make positive changes in the environment.
The Department’s Water Protection Program protects Missouri’s water resources. The Compliance and Enforcement Section develops pathways for violators to return to compliance with Missouri’s Clean Water Law and assesses penalties for those violations. Our work is vital to preserving water quality in Missouri. Cases encompass a wide range of water pollution issues, allowing team members to continually gain knowledge and experience. As a team member, you will assist the regulated community with meeting statutory obligations and manage water pollution cases. You will work with parties causing pollution and determine the best course of action, which often involves investigation. You will be protecting waters of the State, for the benefit and enjoyment of all Missouri’s citizens and visitors. If you enjoy working on a strong team in a fast-paced, challenging atmosphere, you will enjoy working with our team. If you really want to make a difference, join the Department’s team and you will go home at night knowing you are working to make the world a better place.
What you’ll do:
- Evaluate the severity of environmental problems and determine if the Clean Water Law and its implementing regulations have been violated.
- Perform comprehensive study of file materials to include: incident and inspection reports, permits, sample analysis, notices of violation, correspondence, previous enforcement documents, photographs, and maps.
- Determine if the file supports an enforcement action, if so; coordinate further activities as case manager.
- Work with other agencies (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, regional offices, other programs and sections, Department of Conservation, Department of Health, local agencies and municipalities, industry, private facilities, etc.) to investigate and obtain additional file information.
- Participate in settlement negotiations with responsible parties and other agencies to gain compliance with the Missouri Clean Water Law and its regulations and civil penalties for past violations.
- Author and/or review abatement orders, settlement agreements and other administrative orders that establish schedules that are enforceable through administrative or judicial actions.
- Prepare documents to obtain the appropriate approval to refer cases to the Attorney General and coordinate enforcement efforts with the Assistant Attorney General.
- Assure case information is updated in the Missouri Clean Water Information System database.
- Provide technical assistance to the public, other agencies and political organizations through verbal and written correspondence.
- Take on special projects and contribute to committees that may include team members from the Department or other state or federal agencies.
All you need for success:
- A Bachelor’s degree and 0-4 year of relevant experience.
- Preferred degree program would include a combination of the following: Environmental Science or Technology, Chemistry, Biology, Physical Science, Geology, Forestry, Soil Science, Ecology, Wildlife Management, Agriculture, Animal Science, Natural Resource Management, Soil Conservation, or a closely related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer literacy.
- Driver’s license / Ability to travel overnight
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and procedures
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with varying timelines, meet deadlines, and interpret laws and regulations.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to interpret laws and regulations
More reasons to love this position:
The State of Missouri offers an excellent benefits package that includes a defined pension plan, generous amounts of leave and holiday time, and eligibility for health insurance coverage. Your total compensation is more than the dollars you receive in your paycheck. To help demonstrate the value of working for the State of Missouri, we have created an interactive Total Compensation Calculator. This tool provides a comprehensive view of benefits and more that are offered to prospective employees. The Total Compensation Calculator and other applicant resources can be found here.
If you have questions about this position please contact:
Joe Clayton at 573-522-1120 or [email protected]
Lindsay Boyd at 573-526-1582 or [email protected]
Aarick Roberto (DNR Recruiter) at 573-522-1503 or [email protected]
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.