IUCN and the FATA Secretariat are implementing the project Water Governance FATA (Environmental Cell) with the financial assistance of Swiss Agency for Development & Cooperation (SDC). We are looking for experienced Team Leader for FATA Environment Cell at the FATA Secretariat, Peshawar.
Consisting of seven administrative Agencies and six smaller Frontier Regions, the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) is situated between the latitudes of 31° and 35° North, and the longitudes of 69° 15′ and 71° 50′ East. It spans over an approximate area of 27,220 km2. It shares its boundaries with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly NWFP) to the east, Balochistan to its south and Afghanistan to its west.
The project “Water Governance in FATA (Environment Cell)” is designed to address three major areas and illustrated as under:
• Ecologically Sustainable Development Planning – Improving the current development process by adopting the generic planning process covering aspects of project identification, formulation, and appraisal and at the same time addressing major ecological challenges being faced in sectors related to natural resources with a special focus on ecological aspects of water governance. The Cell will be housed in P&D Department and work in partnership with sectors related to natural resources having focus on ecological aspects of water governance.
• Ecological Challenges of Water Governance – Conduct studies and research to characterize and classify the major river basins in terms of surface cover, land use, net primary productivity of range and forests, carrying capacity of rangelands, soil erosion, and ecological challenges focussing on sub-basins of FATA. Sharing of outputs with all the relevant partners so that the output becomes part of the development planning process. The river basins and sub-basins delineated by the Water Governance Programme Phase-I will be used in this study and collaboration will be developed for ecological classification.
• Collaboration and Partnership: Work in close collaboration with the forthcoming “Water Governance Programme for FATA” and with active partnership with the institutions and organizations of various Agencies and Frontier Regions (public- and private sectors, civil society and local organizations).
Under the supervision of Country Representative IUCN Pakistan and the Secretary P&D FATA Secretariat, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to the Water Governance in FATA (Environment Cell) Project.
The incumbent will also be responsible, through Secretary P&D FATA Secretariat, for developing, managing and providing guidance and support in the effective implementation of the project activities at the FATA Environment Cell and Planning & Development (P&D) Department, Peshawar.
He/She will be expected to demonstrate conceptual leadership and direction in the areas of Ecological Sustainable Development Planning; Challenges in Water Governance; and Collaboration and Partnerships, while working in close collaboration with departments, institutions and organizations of various FATA Agencies and Frontier Regions (involving both the public and private sectors, as well as civil society and local organizations).
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
1. PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT:
1.1 Responsible in establishment of FATA Environment Cell at P&D Department, Peshawar.
1.2 As team lead, responsible in implementation of Outcome 1, 2 and 3 as per project document.
1.3 Prepare work plans and progress reports as per the project document and signed agreement.
1.4 Coordinate and facilitate overall on-the-ground management and implementation of the project.
1.5 Liaise with respective government departments for the effective implementation of the project as well as exploring further opportunities for expansion and enhancing the impact.
1.6 Explore opportunities for resource mobilization for the extension of project beyond 2 years and other relevant programme development in FATA and KP.
2. TECHNICAL SUPPORT:
2.1 Provide technical guidance and support in all interventions related to the project.
2.2 Prepare and update the project work plans and progress reports required for submission to the line department and donor.
3. OVERSIGHT AND QUALITY CONTROL FUNCTIONS:
3.1 Keep track of programme budgets and ensuring that programme expenses are strictly monitored on monthly basis and monthly expenses are regularly assessed and monitored.
3.2 Ensure that lessons learnt through the project are documented and internalized in IUCN Pakistan’s current and future work and shared with donor when required.
3.3 Collaborate and ensure that the M&E system is in place as per the goals and objectives of the project.
4. NETWORKING AND REPRESENTATIONAL FUNCTIONS:
4.1 Coordinate with government line departments, donors, partners and stakeholders in implementation of project and day to day matters and meetings.
4.2 Maintain regular donor coordination in collaboration with Country Representative and Programme Coordinator.
4.3 Maintain coordination with other organizations and stakeholders working in FATA on similar or other development projects.
5. OTHER FUNCTIONS:
5.1 Support the development and maintenance of a dynamic and enabling culture and spirit within FATA Environment Cell.
5.2 Provide active input to the formal and non-formal fora of IUCN.
5.3 Manage, deploy and delegate responsibilities to staff allocated to the project for optimum effectiveness and productivity.
5.4 Supervise and guide staff in oversight and quality control functions.
5.5 Responsible for the administrative and managerial tasks of the office as representative of IUCN.
Carry out any other relevant tasks as required by and mutually agreed with the line manager/ supervisor(s).
|• The incumbent should have a Master’s degree in management sciences, engineering, social sciences and/or Natural Resource Management.|
• At least ten years of relevant experience with international organizations, preferably in development of projects and programme/project management in the development sector, with the ability to lead a team.
• Demonstrate strong collaboration and liaison with the relevant Government departments and FATA Secretariat.
• Demonstrated experience in applying Results Based Management tools in managing complex donor-funded projects.
• Expertise in project formulation and implementation will be an added advantage.
• The candidates must be well versed in written and spoken Urdu/English/local language with strong analytical and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team and willing to travel in connection with project activities.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the “Apply” button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges.
IUCN works on biodiversity, energy, human livelihoods and greening the world economy by supporting scientific research, managing field projects all over the world, and bringing governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, with more than 1,200 government and NGO members and almost 11,000 volunteer experts in some 160 countries. IUCN’s work is supported by over 1,000 staff in 45 offices and hundreds of partners in public, NGO and private sectors around the world.