Purpose of the Job:
The purpose of the WASH Officer position is day to day implementation of the WASH Projects.He/she will be mainly assigned to the WASH projects.
He/she will be leading WASH Technical Assistants at field level and will report to WASH Project Manager. WASH Officer will be in charge of technical aspects of construction activities as well as reporting and documentation processes
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist a range of support with the implementation of the WASH portfolio according to plan of action
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise.
- Have full understanding of all programs’ goals, objectives, implementation plan and expected result / output.
- Manage all the phases of the WASH activities including but not limited to; beneficiary selection, project planning, field assistant, project implementation and evaluation.
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Leading of WASH TAs onsite.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Do performance appraisal of each WASH Technical Assistants as delegated by PM.
- Participate in NRC staff meetings, seminars and training, when scheduled.
- Operate field equipment.
- Work closely with all WASH projects stockholders.
- Provision of the monthly plan for his/her team.
- Keeping on track recording of training data and program documents.
- Participate actively in project coordination meetings.
- Coordinate closely his or her activities with WASH PM.
- Assist her/his direct supervisor/PM on planning, organizing, facilitating and monitoring of projects.
- Be willing to travel throughout the districts and other provinces, this is primarily a field position and will require physical activity in a range of demanding natural environments and conditions.
- Any others tasks assigned by supervisors, WASH PM.
- Preparation and compilation of WASH reports.
- Ensure the inclusion of cash-based interventions and marked based programmes in country and area-based strategies and their implementation across and within NRC’s core competencies
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, including multi-purpose cash assistance, emergency cash responses
- Knowledge of Pipe scheme and solar system design
- Minimum 4 years of experience from working as a Project Officer/Engineer and at least one-year particular experience in WASH and humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- 1-2 years’ experience in working in insecure/conflict environments.
- Technical WASH expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- English and Computer knowledge
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions and market based programmes
- Demonstrated experience in conducting rapid emergency assessments in projects.
- Manage time effectively, prioritizing tasks and able to work to deadlines.
- Able to work productively in periods of high stress and activity.
- Work confidently within a group.
- Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities & proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions
- Maintains effective performance under pressure
- Able to decide what steps are needed to achieve particular goals and then implement these.
- Good cultural, social, political and security knowledge of the area.
- Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills with strong experience.
- Good report-writing skills.
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, architecture or Water Engineering.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale.
NRC has medical coverage for staff plus 4 dependents.
Eid Bonus once per year.
Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labour Law.
Top up Credit card on monthly basis
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.