Location: Afar, Ethiopia
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Project design, implementation, and reporting
- Ensure that the WASH promotion activities of the project are implemented according to the the guidance of his or her supervisor.
- Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and review of response activities as per the direction of line manager.
- Carrying out activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behavior change.
- Report request of material needed for the Sanitation & Hygiene promotion activities and use IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adults, children, and persons living with disabilities).
- Implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. These may include but are not limited to: conducting sex and age-segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment, and water quality monitoring, training and follow-up of community health workers, and cleaning campaigns.
- Implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of WASH Related diseases.
- Provide daily/weekly reports to immediate supervisor.
- Provide WASH promotion-related training for the Water Management Committee, concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from WASH-related disease and the importance of proper use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
- Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, the elderly, and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known.
- Work in close coordination with the other hygiene promotion assistant and other sectors colleagues to implement the project in jointly manner.
- Properly use a checklist for WASH NFI distribution and monitor a regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring and, baseline, and end-line surveys.
- Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Related to Program Design;
- collect baseline information and data from the community and submit it to Hygiene promotion officer
Related to coordination, partnership, and networking
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant kebele government authorities in the area of water, sanitation, and hygiene to disseminate the information and knowledge about the WaSH activities
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share kebele information with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Related to capacity building support
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of health extension worker, HAD, and community volunteer and kebele leaders about the project.Job Requirement
- University degree or diploma in Environmental Health, water supply, public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
- Minimum 1 years of the total experience for degree holder and 3 year experience for diploma of which experience in the WASH sector and experience in emergency WASH is advantageous.
- Experience in WASH software activities advantageous.
- Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated work experience in implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centers.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation, and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
- Desired spoken and written English.
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
- Skills Specific to the Post
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing, and problem-solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring, and reporting
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other application
- Knowledge:Good knowledge of the area and local customBasic computer skills (desirable and advantageous)Languages required:Good knowledge of the local language, Afar, Amharic and English languages; Plan International’s Values in PracticeWe are open and accountableWe create a climate of trust inside and outside the organization by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.We strive for lasting impactWe strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.We work well togetherWe succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organization, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.We are inclusive and empoweringWe respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programs and our workplace. We support children, girls, and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
Type of Role: WASH
Reports to: Sanitation and Hygiene promotion Officer
Closing Date: June 29,2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.