Location: Afar, Ethiopia
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas; Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
Plan International Ethiopia’s main purpose is to seek Gender Justice for Girls, Adolescent Girls, and Young Women. We aim to help create an enabling environment where girls, adolescent girls, and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. PIE will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach directly 2.1 million Girls, Adolescent Girls and Young Women over the period of the strategy 2020-2024 and to reach an additional 6.3 million beneficiaries through its interventions.
Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Coordinator is responsible to handle different activities of WASH – software part, health and Nutrition at grass root level.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
Internally: The job holder has a close working relationship internally with the following departments and/or functions:
Externally: The job holder has a close working relationship externally with the following departments and/or functions:
Program beneficiaries, local government sector offices, particularly zonal and woreda health offices, Zonal and woreda water development offices and. NGOs operating in PA.
Level of contact with children
• High level of interaction with children
• The incumbent will spend much of his/her time in the field office and targeted districts where the travel requirement is often.
Project design, implementation, and reporting
- Ensure that the WASH promotion activities of the project are implemented according to the approved donor and government agreements.
- Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and review of response activities as per the agreed document with donors and partners.
- Carrying out needs assessments and identifying activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behavior change.
- Report request of material needed for the Sanitation & Hygiene promotion activities and design IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adults, children, and persons living with disabilities).
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. These may include but are not limited to: conducting sex and age-segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment, and water quality monitoring, training and follow-up of community health workers, and cleaning campaigns.
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of WASH Related diseases.
- Provide daily/weekly reports to immediate supervisor. Provide monthly and quarterly reports for line managers and WaSH project Manager
- Provide WASH promotion-related training for the Water Management Committee, governmental technicians, and concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from WASH-related disease and the importance of proper use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
- Be based in the targeted regions (depending on the needs) for several days per week to monitor the activities, including an overnight stay in rural areas.
- Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, the elderly, and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known. Work in close coordination with the WASH Coordinator and other sectors colleagues to ensure that the overall WASH response address the needs of the targeted population, in the respect of dignity and local culture.
- Develop a checklist for WASH NFI distribution and monitor a regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring and, baseline, and end-line surveys.
- Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Related to Program Design;
- Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from the community and submit it to PA for further analysis. Prepare the baseline report for his line manager.
Related to coordination, partnership, and networking
- In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that have relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions, and the media, in the area of water, sanitation, and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share district government information, and strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Related to capacity building support
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
- Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
- University degree in Environmental Health, water supply, public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
- Minimum 5 years of the total experience of which experience in the WASH sector and experience in emergency WASH is advantageous.
- Experience in WASH facilities construction in a complex and demanding workload.
- Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated work experience in designing, supervising, and implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centers.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation, and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
- Desired spoken and written English.
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
Skills Specific to the Post
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing, and problem-solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring, and reporting
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other application
Good knowledge of the area and local custom
Basic computer skills (desirable and advantageous)
Good knowledge of the local language, Afar, Amharic and English languages;
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organization by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organization, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programs and our workplace. We support children, girls, and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
Type of Role: WASH
Reports to: WASH Coordinator
Closing Date: June 28,2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.