POSITION TITLE: Water Resources Management (WRM) Officer in El Salvador
REPORTS TO: Water Security Improvement (WSI) Senior Officer
LOCATION: Upper Lempa River Basin region of El Salvador/Honduras/Guatemala
The Water Resources Management Officer is a field-based point of contact with experience in WRM and community/municipal development in rural and/or protected areas that will provide technical assistance to the project at the direction of the Water Security Improvement (WSI) Senior Officer for a 5-year project to improve water security in the Upper Lempa River Basin Region of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. The position will be based in the Upper Lempa River Basin, with frequent travels to municipalities specifically thought the Upper Lempa area in El Salvador, and potentially occasional travel in Honduras and Guatemala. The position will also require travel to the Project’s office in San Salvador, El Salvador.
The project seeks to support municipal, national and transboundary institutions to effectively manage their water resources and address water security risks while conserving the environment to enable the Northern Central American Region to prosper in the face of increasing climate variability and change.
The project will address the following three strategic objectives to accomplish its goal and meet its target:
- Improved collaboration and capacity of transboundary, cross-sectoral, and national institutions for evidence-based, climate-smart water resources management
- Improved management of water security risks and violence prevention by users in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras
- Mechanisms for financing resilient water resources management assessed and utilized
The WSI process is a methodology developed by the Winrock-led Sustainable Water Partnership, funded by USAID. https://www.globalwaters.org/resources/assets/swp/improving-water-security-swp-toolkit-1
The Water Resources Management Officer will manage the following activities:
- Coordinate and support technical activities to improve water resources management, implementation of on-the-ground water security interventions in the Upper Lempa, and capacity building and institutional strengthening stakeholders and institutions of the Upper Lempa- El Salvador;
- Organize and facilitate WSI process through all five steps at the municipal level through local partners;
- Manage synergies with other projects in the area that contribute to advancing in water safety;
- Identify and promote viable alternatives for financial sustainability in relation to water security
- Collect information for the project’s MEL indicator;
- Support coordination and engagement with stakeholders and institutions, including but not limited to government institutions, private sector, local and international civil society organizations and research institutions of the Upper Lempa /El Salvador;
- Provide technical direction and oversight to local organization(s) supporting implementation of on-the-ground water security interventions;
- Support capacity building activities with stakeholders and institutions on technical topics, such as water security risk assessment, hydrologic and climate modelling, water security implementation, water governance, among other areas;
- Organize workshops, trainings, and seminars as stated in the project workplan;
- Support and monitor the implementation of agreed-upon water security measures;
- Champion GESI and GBV at the local level;
- Ensure compliance with quality, performance, and integrity standards in accordance with project objectives, USAID rules, and Winrock policies; and
- Coordinate the work with the Water Resources Management (WRM) Officer from Guatemala and Honduras.
Education: University degree in a water-related field, such as water resources management, engineering, hydrology, natural resources management, physical geography, ecology, environmental science, climate.
Experience: The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience within the water sector, including with water resources assessment, management and governance in El Salvador, Guatemala, and/or Honduras;
- Experience in grey infrastructure and green infrastructure monitoring
- Capacity to manage partnerships with the public and private sectors to implement projects.
- Strong existing relationships and experience working with water sector institutions and stakeholders, transboundary experience preferred;
- Experience working with municipalities and communities
- Experience working with local organizations, community-based organizations, non-governmental organizations (ex. Juntas de Agua, ADESCOS, etc.)
- Proven communications and capacity building skills
- Experience with fieldwork in rural areas
- Ability to demonstrate the highest level of ethical standards at all times;
- Working knowledge of basic computer programs, including MS Office Suite;
- Ability to travel up to 80% to the field as necessary.
Other: Fluency in Spanish required. Some English an asset.
Work place: It is anticipated that this position will be based 4 days in the field (Upper Lempa, Metapán, El Salvador) and 1 day in the San Salvador office. However, may be subject to change according to work schedule and timeframe of the project.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization