Management Systems International (MSI), a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area management consultancy with a 40-year history of delivering results for our clients. Our expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation; democracy and governance; peace and stability; rule of law and accountability; education; gender and inclusion; strategic communications; and leadership and organizational development. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria and Ukraine, and works domestically. We support clients ranging from the U.S. Government (e.g., the U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Departments of State and Labor, and the Millennium Challenge Corporation) to large bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g., the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program). We also work with national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
Through the USAID-funded Governance Integration for Stabilization and Resilience (GISR MENA) Task Order, MSI is launching the Youth and Climate Change Activity which aims to increase engagement of YLOs/YSOs in MENA that seek to advance climate mitigation and/or adaptation initiatives through grants awards. This activity also aims to strengthen each grantees’ technical and organizational capacities to implement and sustain climate efforts. In parallel, a shared learning agenda will be adopted to build the evidence base for YLO/YSOs working in climate action, as well as foster peer learning, mentorship, and collaboration opportunities between grantees and other networks in this space. This includes facilitating grantees potential representation and engagement at the 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties 27 (UNFCCC COP 27) in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt.
**Please note: All citizenships are eligible for this position.**
The Youth Climate Expert will report to the Activity Team Lead and work with a Senior Climate Expert to provide technical assistance to MSI and grantees in designing, implementing, and reporting on their proposed initiatives. The anticipated timeline for this assignment is June 2022 – June 2023.
- Conduct technical review of all applicant concept notes during the grant competition.
- Work closely with shortlisted applicants during a co-creation process to further design and prepare their grant application.
- Serve as a member of MSI’s technical review committee to determine final grantees.
- Provide ongoing technical expertise and mentorship to all grantees throughout implementation of their activity following grantee awards.
- Prepare and provide relevant materials, workshops, and other learning resources/tools in English and Arabic that grantees may require to successfully implement their initiatives.
- Work with grantees and the MENA Youth Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Coordinator to support development and reporting of indicators for grantee MEL plans.
- Support facilitation of peer-to-peer learning/knowledge sharing amongst grantees.
- Identify opportunities and mechanisms for connecting grantees to pertinent climate focused networks within MENA.
- Participate in internal meetings and planning.
- Travel for COP27 and/or other activity events (tentative).
- Bachelor’s degree in climate, environmental science, natural resources, ecology, or related fields required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum three years of work experience leading, designing, and/or evaluating climate resilience, adaptation, mitigation, sustainability projects required, preferably in the MENA region.
- Strong understanding of climate resilience, mitigation, adaptation, sustainability issues, strategies, approaches, and frameworks.
- Strong understanding of climate related international and regional policies, initiatives, and innovative practices.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with computer applications, including Word, Excel, and presentation applications.
- Fluency in English and Arabic required.
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to develop and maintain a culture that honors the perspectives and identities of our employees, our communities and those impacted by our work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities/Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please visit Tetra Tech’s Disability Assistance Page. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.