Country Director Suriname & Guyana
The Country Director provide vision and leadership for the WWF Country Office in Suriname and Guyana and effective high-level representation of WWF with key audiences and WWF’s network to build strength and support for the country office on its conservation delivery, increasing WWF’s leadership and recognition as the leading conservation organization in the Guianas.
Directs, manages, takes responsibility and gives strategic direction to all activities of WWF in Suriname and Guyana, to ensure that WWF’s Mission and Guianas integrated strategy are successfully accomplished, ensuring, that all operating processes and systems are adequate and that the WWF Guianas Country office and field office’s legal and reporting requirements are aligned with local laws and with WWF's policies, procedures and standards.
- Provides leadership to ensure resources and support for the development, financing and implementation of WWF's conservation program in the Guianas is accomplished.
- Ensures that WWF US and/or WWF Network policies, procedures and standards for operational, financial, personnel and administrative systems and outputs are implemented in the Suriname country office and the Guyana field office.
- Establishes and oversees a monitoring and evaluation system to measure the performance of the WWF program in Suriname and Guyana vs. the Country Strategic Plan and reports regularly to the Vice President for Latin America and the Caribbean (VP for LAC) on office performance.
- Ensures timely technical, financial from all parts of the Guianas Program to donors, WWF-US, WWF-International and all relevant parts of the WWF Network according to agreed standards.
- Ensures that the WWF program in the Guianas co-operates with financial, operational and programmatic audits and follows-up in a timely manner on audit recommendations and ensures compliance with WWF-US and/or WWF-International Board policies, procedures and standards.
- Establishes an effective internal communication system to ensure that all staff working for the WWF Guianas are fully informed of WWF’s Mission, Global Priorities and Strategic Approaches and kept abreast of new developments, policies and procedures as and when they arise.
- Establishes mechanisms for effective external communications on WWF Guianas’s results and achievements to the WWF network, donors, partners and others.
- Oversees the implementation of WWF Guianas´s integrated Strategy, which includes Conservation, Communications, Fundraising and Operations in support to WWF’s strive for impact at scale.
- Leads WWF Guianas´s organizational development process, ensuring consolidation and strengthening of organizational capacities in line with needs of new strategy.
- Provides leadership for WWF Guianas´s engagement with partners and policy advocacy including with private sector, government, international cooperation, NGOs and others.
- Ensure good working relations with concerned government agencies in Suriname and Guyana and oversee positioning of the WWF program in support of country priorities.
- In close liaison with the VP for LAC, participates in key fundraising strategies with Multilateral Institutions, Bilateral and Multilateral cooperation, National Organisations, Government Agencies, Foundations, Corporate, and private donors ensuring a financially sustainable Office able to generate and secure a diversified funding pipeline to support their strategy.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with key individuals and conservation and development entities (local, national, regional, and international) regarding WWF’s position and general information. Participates in forums, workshops and conferences on behalf of WWF.
- Supports Regional or subregional work and performs other duties as requested by the VP for LAC.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- An advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in Conservation, Natural Sciences, Business Management, International Development, Policy, Sustainability or a related field.
- Higher academic qualifications may be substituted by relevant work experience.
- Technical proficiency in the field of Conservation, Natural-Resource Management or International Development, with at least 10 years professional experience, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and networks.
- Proven experience of minimum 8 years in higher management position and successful outcomes in public relations.
- Excellent leadership abilities and capacity to manage human and financial resources, strong skills in strategic planning, policy influencing, operations and finance, projects planning, fundraising, budget implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to work effectively with local communities, governments and private/corporate sector.
- Proven capacity to build teams, team work and deliver a team approach.
- Strong knowledge of Surinamese and Guyanese political context and a current network of contacts in country.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Fully bilingual English-Dutch is preferable, and additional Spanish basic proficiency will be a plus.
This position is based in Paramaribo- Suriname.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume in English through our Careers Page by May 30th,2019
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email