PhD position in Applied Hydrologic Sciences
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. Specific studies focus on environmental controls on biogeochemical cycling of elements, the analysis of exchange processes and nutrient dynamics in the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum. A combination of experiments, modelling and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process and management scale. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems. We offer a competent and interdisciplinary working environment, as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling.
The BMBF funded OrganoRice project aims to support the production of organically produced rice in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Therefore, an interdisciplinary team analyses the current state of the economic, social, and environmental conditions, monitors changes during the transition from conventional to organic rice production and will provide recommendation for future planning.
We are offering a PhD position in applied hydrologic sciences
The successful candidate will analyze pesticide residues in irrigation water and paddy rice fields in the landscape to provide information about the current pesticide background and will monitor pesticide concentrations in soil and water after transition to organic rice production.
Your tasks in detail:
- Prepare and perform regular soil and water sampling campaign in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam
- Develop appropriate extraction methods for the pesticides from soil samples
- Screen the extracts and water samples on pesticide residues using LC-MSMS
- Perform sorption and degradation experiments for selected pesticides
- Help to provide recommends for farmers, stakeholders and policy makers to establish organic rice production in the Mekong delta of Vietnam
- Contribute to an international research team, publish in international journals and present results at international conferences
- University degree (Master, Diploma) in either geosciences, agriculture, or chemistry
- Experience in laboratory work
- Knowledge in the areas of hydrology, pesticide research, soil sciences
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes; very good communication and organizational skills
- Very good command of the English language
- Willingness to travel to Vietnam and to perform field work
- Vibrant international and interdisciplinary work environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf and Aachen
- Attendance at national and international conferences and workshops
- Possibility for further scientific and technical training through international experts
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- Continuous, professional support by your scientific supervisor
- Pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund)
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particulary welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our online recruitment system on our career site until 31.05.2019, quoting the above-mentioned reference number.
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2019D-124:
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.