This PhD focuses on earth sciences e del clima, climate change and impacts, mitigation/adaptation strategies, policies and measures, fostering multidisciplinary training.
The learning outcomes align with the goals of sustainable development. PhD graduates will actively contribute to design and implement solutions, strategies and policies for sustainable development in the XXI century, based on an advanced understanding of the risks arising from climate change.
The program will train earth and climate, food production, economic and social scientists and engineers for careers in academia, research, government, industry and international organizations.
Main research fields:
A. The earth system
The natural and man induced variability is considered.
- Solid earth physics
- Observations of the atmosphere, oceans and ecosystems
- Climate variations and modeling
- Atmospheric and ocean predictions
- Water and hydrology
- Carbon cycle and biogeochemical cycles
- Hazard mapping and extreme events
B. Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
The role of humans in managing resources and the societal impacts of climate change.
- Food production and security
- Water resources and security
- Biodiversity, environment and nature conservation
- Human Health and Well-Being
- Economics of adaptation
- Resilient agriculture
- Cultural heritage conservation
- Recovery and reuse of materials
C. Technological innovations for a decarbonized society
The mitigation and adaptation technological developments required by the industrial sectors.
- Energy and environmental efficient systems
- Renewable energy systems and products
- Green/blue/hybrid architecture
- Smart grids and positive energy districts
- Transport innovation
- Low carbon technologies
- Sustainable chemistry and engineering
- Industrial and Urban Symbiosis
D. Socio-economic and legal studies for mitigation of climate change
The effects of mitigation policies on economic growth and government/rulemaking.
- Social, Economic, and Ethical Concepts and Methods
- Sustainable Development and Equity
- International Cooperation
- Regional Development and Cooperation
- Cross-cutting Investment and Finance issues
- Environmental law
- Circular economy
- Communicating Climate Change