Job Posting: 21/Jun/2022
Closure Date: 06/Jul/2022, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: NSL
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration: Up to max 11 months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Land and Water Division (NSL) aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and nutrition by advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved governance, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality. It promotes equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of rainfed agriculture and irrigation and drainage, soil conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, access to natural resources, and improvement of land markets.
The purpose of this call is to provide FAO’s Land and Water Division (NSL) and the Water group with a list of qualified candidates for a number of profiles with different specializations to enhance the FAO Water portfolio as indicated below:
- Food systems, water scarcity and climate change
Contracts will be either home-based or in FAO HQs with required travel for field missions, where relevant.
The posts are located in the Integrated Nexus & Water Management Team, the Irrigation and Resources Management Team and
the Global Framework on Water Scarcity in Agriculture (WASAG).
The Incumbents will report to the WASAG Team leader, under the overall supervision of the Deputy- Director of the Land and Water Division.
Supporting the development, quality control, management and effective implementation of FAO’s water portfolio, focusing on providing assistance to governments and other stakeholders in the development and implementation of policies, strategies, programmes and field capacity for the adaptation of food systems to water scarcity, increasing water productivity and achieving the national objectives under the Sustainable Development Goals framework.
Tasks and responsibilities
Food systems, waterscarcityandclimatechange
- Participate in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences with various stakeholders, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners. This include the Second WASAG international forum planned for the last quarter of 2022.
- Prepare detailed reports on the meetings and revise draft versions based on the outcomes of the meetings as well as the feedback from various stakeholders.
- Undertake analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edit/revise technical/scientific documents related to water scarcity in agriculture.
- Contribute to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to food systems and water scarcity in agriculture, including guidelines, capacity building and training material
- Participate in multi-disciplinary project/work teams related to water, migration, nutrition, drought preparedness, sustainable agriculture water use, saline agriculture and financing mechanisms.
- Contribute to the development of new programs in the above area, as well as concept notes and/or proposals to support these investments in the context of food systems, water footprint, water scarcity and climate change
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date database on donors, including on their priorities and opportunities for funding in alignment with their strategic objectives.
- Update relevant databases, web pages and communication material. Contribute to various tasks related to the Land and Water Division and provide assistance in carrying out any other duties as required.
- Any other duties as required.
- Contribute to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to NSL Water Programme, including guidelines, capacity building and training material.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in environmental management, water management, sustainable agriculture, and/or a related field;
- Minimum of one year of relevant working experience for Category C or minimum five years for Category B in supporting project management, formulation and implementation; governmental or multilateral organizations; integrated land and water assessment and management; preparation of training material and organization and implementation of capacity development activities;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish, and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian (for consultants); working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian (for PSAs).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Relevant experience in working successfully in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, particularly in multilateral organizations
- Essential interpersonal skills for teamwork and capacity for work and analysis in multicultural, multisector and multidisciplinary environments;
- Proven ability to deliver quality output working under tight deadlines;
- Relevant experience and knowledge in collecting, managing and analysing technical information and data, as well as in sustainable development in the agricultural sector;
- Relevant experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For more information, visit the FAO employment website
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT