Water Specialist SER0013
SER0013 ENV PROG ASST/ANLST
Poplar Bluff, MO
Environmental and Natural Resources
Department of Natural Resources
Division of Environmental Quality
Scheduled Hours: 8AM – 5PM
Salary: $1,950 – $2,078 semi-monthly
Job Location: This position is with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Division of Environmental Quality, Southeast Regional Office, and will be located at 2155 N. Westwood Blvd., Poplar Bluff, MO 63901.
Why you’ll love this position:
The Water Section protects environmental quality in 25 counties in Southeast Missouri by helping people and organizations use our natural resources responsibly for the benefit of all Missourians. This position will provide compliance assistance to water systems and technical training for water operators to ensure all our citizens and visitors have safe water.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and coordinate the training and resources for the mandatory operator certification for drinking water operators in the southeast region, which entails: develop training resources, administering State of Missouri operation certification exams, and training, which includes both classroom and in-plant one-on-one training.
- Investigate unsafe samples, monitor environmental data, follow up on compliance schedules, and work with team members and facilities to help prevent enforcement action.
- Perform inspections of complex water facilities and compile inspection data to submit in report format.
- Communicate feedback to management and the Public Drinking Water Branch as to how well policies are working based on field observations and suggest changes in their development.
- Provide compliance assistance to facilities in person, over the telephone, email, and other electronic means.
- Communicate with the public, including receiving concerns from the public and investigating those concerns and communicating your findings with the concerned parties.
- Respond to other duties as assigned, including infrequent response to environmental emergencies.
All you need for success:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 2-4 years of relevant experience. (Professional experience in public drinking water system operations may substitute for required college education.)
- Ability to travel within the region and state to conduct work and attend trainings
- Ability to climb stairs, traverse rough and uneven terrain, lift and carry up to 50 pounds of equipment, while working in an office, outdoors, and/or in various industrial environments
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of computers, software, and databases
- A valid driver’s license is required for this position.
- Possession of a current Missouri Class “A” certificate of competency for wastewater treatment or drinking water treatment. Individuals with water or wastewater operator certification from another state are encouraged to apply if the certificate is active, in good standing, and it was achieved by successfully passing the examination in that state. Missouri certification may be possible through reciprocity for states with comparable certification requirements.
- Four years of in-plant operating experience in the operation and maintenance of a public drinking water treatment system classified by the Department of Natural Resources as a level “A”, “B”, “C” or equivalent.
- Self-motivation and the ability to perform work activities without constant assistance or oversight
- Experience with sampling and analysis of various environmental media, environmental inspection work, training of staff, and emergency management
More reasons to love this position:
The State of Missouri offers an excellent benefits package that includes a defined pension plan, generous amounts of leave and holiday time, and eligibility for health insurance coverage. Your total compensation is more than the dollars you receive in your paycheck. To help demonstrate the value of working for the State of Missouri, we have created an interactive Total Compensation Calculator. This tool provides a comprehensive view of benefits and more that are offered to prospective employees. The Total Compensation Calculator and other applicant resources can be found here.
If you have questions about this position please contact:
Tonya Lyons by phone at 573-840-9750 or [email protected]
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.