Requisition ID: 19334
Region: Europe (HQ)
Contract type: Traineeship
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also seeks to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. Each year, armed conflict disrupts millions of lives. The ICRC’s water and habitat activities ensure that people in conflict zones have access to water and build or maintain a balanced living environment.
The ICRC’s Water and Habitat (WatHab) Unit has five main areas of activity: i)Water supply, storage and distribution, ii) Sanitation, waste management and environmental science, iii) Restoration and management of electric power, iv) Construction, repair and safety of structures, v) Provision of temporary community facilities
Purpose of the role
The associate will be part of the Water and Habitat team and work within the ICRC Assistance Division at the headquarters level. They will participate in the development of the Unit’s activities by supporting the team in its day to day tasks.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
The Associate will work within the Water & Habitat Project Management Cell (PMC), working on projects related to buildings (health facilities, warehouses, etc.).
Their main duties will be to:
- Assist in direct support to field operations (architectural design project evaluations, technical documentation review, etc.);
- Assist in development of tools, templates and guidelines to support the project management framework of the WatHab Unit (including but not limited to quality assurance procedures/ principles, risk assessment and management templates, reporting templates, construction data analysis, etc.);
- Assist in producing content for the development of guidelines and technical standards on various topics (bioclimatic architecture, sustainable design principles, etc.) and, also,
- Such tasks will be complemented by assisting the Unit’s Knowledge Management function in the consolidation and roll out of its learning and development plan.
Desired profile and skills
- Interest in humanitarian issues;
- Educational background in the field of Architecture/ Architecture Engineering;
- Good knowledge of the building construction sector;
- Knowledge of project management, risk and data management;
- Literate in AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe InDesign, and Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in Excel an asset;
- Writing skills and capacity to communicate scientific information to non-specialists;
- Proficient in written and spoken English, knowledge of French an asset;
- Autonomy, flexibility, adaptability.
Only individuals enrolled in higher education or who have recently completed their studies are eligible to be trainees/associates. For candidates to be eligible they must have a maximum of one year’s professional experience after graduation (relating to the post) or two years if they have been in previous traineeships.
- Location: Geneva
- Type of contract: Traineeship
- Lenght of assignment: 12 months
- Relocation: Not provided for traineeships
- Visa/permit: Legitimacy card provided
- Gross monthly salary: 3723,20 CHF
- Estimated start date: 17/10/2022
- Application deadline: 06/07/2022
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted subsequently for interviews. Please be aware that the ICRC is not in a position to cover any related travel or accommodation costs. However, interviews shall be conducted by skype or MS Teams.
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to build an inclusive working environment. We encourage application from all qualified candidates.