Urban WASH Advisor
Salary: £36,600- £38,700
Want to use your skills in urban WASH utilities to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as an urban WASH advisor, specialising in utilities, to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good. On top of that you'll be joining a 2018 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation.
You will join the Programme Support Unit, a diverse and experienced team of thematic specialists covering all aspects of WASH in rural and urban settings based in the UK and supporting WaterAid country programmes.
As our energetic and resourceful Urban WASH advisor (utilities) you will help develop great learning partnerships between water and sanitation utilities, to strengthen their capacity to deliver sustainable and equitable services in the countries where we work.
The job will be in a London- based team but the successful candidate could be based in any country where we have an office, as long as they are able to travel frequently to WaterAid country programmes in Africa and South Asia. It is a fixed term one year contract with a possibility for extension.
In this role, you will create a step change in our expanding work with WASH utilities. You will encourage and support our country programmes to strengthen utilities, and will help to develop Water Operator Partnerships (WOPs)
- Capture and disseminate learning about water operator partnerships (WOPs).
- Work with fundraising colleagues to help raise finance for WOPs
- Produce practice guides and blogs and organise learning events on WOPs
- Develop tools to monitor and evaluate WOPs
- Support collaborative research on urban WASH with country programmes
- Represent WaterAid in collaborations that focus on WOPS and the role of the private sector in WASH service delivery.
- Make sure we are fully benefitting from our involvement in an International Training Programme for staff from water utilities
We are looking for a person with substantial experience of urban WASH programmes in low-income countries, with a particular emphasis on strengthening water utilities.
To be successful, you'll need:
- Substantial experience of water utilities in developing countries.
- Knowledge of various capacity building approaches in the water sector including Water Operator Partnerships.Proven communication and influencing skills and the ability to clearly articulate complex urban WASH issues to both non-technical and technical audiences
- To be available to travel up to 10 weeks per year
Visit the WaterAid careers page for a full job pack.
WaterAid benefits include:
36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working up to 2 days a weekSeason Ticket LoanFree annual eye testsPay as You Earn training scheme Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post based in London you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter.
Applications will close one minute before midnight on 9 May 2019. Availability for interview is required week commencing 13 May.
Salary: £36,600- £38,700 with excellent benefits
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at