Advisor (m/f/d) for Integrated Water Management in the "Transboundary Water Management in the Congo River Basin" Project
The objective of the International Commission of the Congo-Oubangui-Sangha basin (CICOS), a regional organisation based in Kinshasa, is to facilitate agreements and decisions on transboundary water management by coordinating riparian States in order to reach visible results.
- Advise on the implementation of CICOS’s prior notification guidelines for planned measures between member states
- Prepare, organize, participate in and facilitate of high level political meetings and technical workshops
- Advise on the operationalization of CICOS’s tool for water resource modelling and allocation in the Congo basin (e.g. awareness-raising activities among stakeholders, CICOS’s experts sustained capacity building)
- Plan and monitor implementation activities in line with the project’s overall objectives and the 2019 action plan
- University degree (Master) in water resources management, environment management or a related field
- Many years of professional experience in water resources management in transboundary context
- Professional experience in cooperation for development
- Sound knowledge of the use of water allocation tools
- Professional experience abroad, especially in Africa
- Knowledge of stakes and stakeholders in the Congo basin is an advantage
- Experience with GIZ and its procedures is an advantage
- Fluent French knowledge, very good command of Englisch or German
The security situation is tense. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
This position is vacant for the time of parental leave. Option to extend the contract.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- During the preparation phase, you will receive initial insights into GIZ and the local conditions. This ensures you are as well prepared as you can be for your placement. You have the opportunity to contact other new starters, and to expand and develop your personal network.
- We are happy to support your professional development, for example with the training provision of the Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ), the leading provider of international skills development.
- We are convinced that employees need a healthy balance between their private and professional lives. This is why we offer childcare allowances and support to accompanying partners. Our family-friendly nature also extends to situations where relatives are in need of care. As part of its family-friendly staff policy, GIZ aspires to support employees while they are carrying out their work.
- Our flexible working hours offer you the time and the flexibility to reduce the overtime you work in agreement with your manager. If necessary, we will find even more flexible working hours for individual employees.
- We take your wishes into account when it comes to your daily working schedule. We offer diverse part-time formats including flexi-time to be agreed on a daily, hourly or monthly basis.
- Do you need a longer period off? We have a special part-time block model which also allows you to take a leave of absence lasting several months. You can save up your working time credit over a longer period and work it out within the framework of an exemption.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- We set common objectives for the new year in our annual employee meetings. If you achieve these objectives, you may receive an additional variable payment.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
- We have a comprehensive package of services for partners and other relatives who relocate with you, for example medical check-ups, travel costs to and from the location or language courses. This includes seminars at the Academy for International Cooperation on regional studies or on the topic of ‘Emigrating with Children’.
- GIZ will pay an allowance for education which will cover a significant portion of the school costs which are due. This therefore guarantees that your children will be able to attend a mainstream school where you are located and work towards completion of the Abitur (British A-level equivalent) or a qualification which is comparable to the German Abitur.
- If you have not yet found somewhere suitable to live when you travel to your placement, it is also possible to stay in a hotel in the short term. An allowance for hotel costs will be paid for this. For the duration of the employment abroad, GIZ will pay an allowance for rent in the place of employment.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79 3200