Private Sector Advisor
In this role you will act as an expert on private sector and support the Senior Private Sector Advisor in building transformative partnerships that realise the shared value and leverage the non-financial value of the partnership in areas of sustainability, influence and advocacy, and broader impact through supply chains etc.
Although based in Strategic Partnerships department within the Innovation and Strategic Engagement team, this role will act as key collaborator and influencer across functions and hold close ties into both the Policy and Campaigns Department (PCD) and Programme Support Unit (PSU).
Build evidence and understanding: to bolster the evidence base for WASH action by the private sector in the workplace, communities and supply chains ensuring that WASH is embedded within the companies’ sustainability strategy.
• Support development of a globally strategic approach for developing transformative partnerships and build credibility across the federation. This strategy will be underpinned by insight, local knowledge, aligned with WaterAid’s priorities and ensure a globally aligned way of working.
• Scoping and delivering research, products and tools, in collaboration with others where appropriate, to build the evidence base for why and how private sector should take action on WASH (sector specific where appropriate).
• Support/lead on engagement with some private sector networks, external initiatives and platforms to ensure monitoring, oversight and understanding of trends whilst ensuring that WASH issues are fully considered e.g. CDP Water, CEO Water Mandate and Alliance for Water Stewardship
• Build sector specific insight and knowledge with input from various WaterAid teams. The focus sectors for 19-20 are currently expected to be: textiles and garment sector; agribusiness; and tourism
Facilitate activation and engagement: putting theory and ideas into action to scale impact across the private sector
• Coordinate various functions across WaterAid to deliver the pioneering Business Case for WASH work to define the return on investment from WASH interventions and help develop the appropriate resources/tools/support mechanisms.
• Support on private sector initiatives, campaigns and events as appropriate to ensure private sector messaging is embedded e.g. UN High-level political forum; World Water Week, Davos etc.
• Advise and support the Corporate Partnerships team in their engagement with corporate partners on bespoke engagement surrounding sustainability and stewardship issues resulting in transformative partnerships based around shared value.
Enhance collaboration and maximise impact: by working with and influencing key stakeholders (internal and external) to leverage existing systems, processes, bodies or standards
• Collaborate with programme and policy colleagues to identify key priority issues for engagement with private sector partners including the challenges and opportunities based around shared value.
• Lead relationships with some standards/certificate bodies to help integrate WASH within their frameworks.
• Work with trade associations and bodies to scale and leverage impact e.g. International Tourism Partnership or International Council for Mining & Metals
• Help build internal capacity, within WaterAid UK and across WateAid Country Programmes to enhance understanding on avenues for private sector engagement and help disseminate the tools and resources available.
• Actively engage with Senior Private Sector Advisor to continually share knowledge, evaluate / measure our activities to promote learning, innovation and continuous improvement.
• Possible management of volunteers or interns
• No direct responsibility for budgets
• Include budget responsibility
• Occasional travel (UK/International)
To be successful, you’ll need:
• A degree in international development, sustainability or have equivalent and relevant working experience
• Significant experience, successful track record and knowledge of the sustainable development agenda within the private sector, preferably including the global water challenge and/or supply chain issues
• Proven experience of researching/building a case by gathering and presenting data/reports
• Proven ability to work in partnership with other departments e.g. programmes and policy depts to enhance our engagement with other stakeholders and strengthen our impact and reputation.
• To speak knowledgably and confidently on sustainability/WASH/water issues and ability to take a business risk approach to understanding and advising on managing water and sanitation solutions.
• Knowledge of business drivers and motivations
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Project Management skills
• Proven ability to work proactively, autonomously and in a resourceful manner to agreed objectives
• Proven ability to build consensus, deal with ambiguity and collaborate with colleagues remotely / internationally across diverse cultures face to face & in a virtual space.
• Team player with strong collaboration skills: able to work in a diverse culture
• Willingness to learn and think creatively
• Strong interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills: tenacious and ability to work calmly under pressure. Ability to deal with conflict / difficult stakeholders.
• Experience of managing or brokering cross team or cross sector partnerships
• Working style that reflects WaterAid’s values of Respect, Accountability, Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation.
It would be desirable if you have experience of working in North America or with North American markets based upon some key opportunities in this market.
Visit the WaterAid careers page for a full job pack.
WaterAid benefits include:
• 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
• Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
• We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
• Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working up to 2 days a week
• Season Ticket Loan
• Free annual eye tests
• Pay as You Earn training scheme
• Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Applications will close one minute before midnight on 12 May 2019. Availability for interview is required (w/c 20 May 2019).
Salary: £36,600 - £40,000 with excellent benefits
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter.
WaterAid is fully committed to protecting those with whom it comes into contact in WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org