Officer (Transboundary Water Management, Short-term position)
SIWI is recruiting a short-term Officer for the period of 1 June – 31 August, 2019 to implement and coordinate a range of tasks in support of SIWI’s Transboundary Water Management Department’s events at the 2019 Stockholm World Water Week, and other tasks that will occur during the contract period.
About World Water Week
SIWI organizes the annual World Water Week, the largest annual global meeting place for water and development related issues. In 2018, 3,600 individuals and close to 400 convening organizations from 130 countries participated in the Week. World Water Week consist of over 260 sessions and is a strategic meeting point for water leaders globally.
During the course of the 2019 World Water week, the Transboundary Water Management Team will implement public events, showcases, seminars and closed meetings together with officials and organizations engaged in various water diplomacy processes and programmes.
Desired backround, skills & personal profile
We look for a candidate that has a background and/or strong interest in environment and development. You may have studied or worked with environmental matters such as water, climate, landscape in an international and/or development context. Or you may have a background and/or interest in international relations and political science related to water, environment, and international development cooperation.
The position requires fluency in both Swedish and English as well as good skills with Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint, Excel and Word as well as Mentimeter (desirable).
The World Water Week is an international forum; and the short-term Officer will support the Transboundary Water Management Department in implementing a range of public and closed events.
The responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Save the Date notifications and Invitations: Coordinating invited guests internally and with our World Water Week support teams.
- Coordinating guest lists and logistics for meetings and events.
- Offer service to our invited guests (booking of flights, accommodation etc.).
- Logistics of our events at the World Water Week (booking rooms, meals, airport transfers etc).
- Meeting summmaries and event documentation.
- Support the planning and implementation of workshops, meetings and seminars during the contract period.
Qualifications and experiences
- Experience in organising/coordinating events (e.g. conferences, student events and seminars).
- Good ability to communicate with high-level persons in English and Swedish.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Excellent project management and coordination skills with the ability to multitask.
- Previous experience working with systems and databases.
- Previous work in an international environment and experience of organising international conferences/events/meetings is an asset.
We are looking for a person who is positive and problem solving oriented, able to handle stress, is flexible and has the ability to simultaneously handle several complex tasks with an eye for details. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, flexible, result oriented, and a team player. The candidate should also be well organised, detail orientated, discrete, and professional with excellent multi-tasking skills.
The position requires strong internal team communication skills to coordinate across a range of workstreams as well as strong external communication skills for interactions with SIWI partners.
As the short-term Officer will be filling an existing staff position (temporary leave) during a summer period when other team members are on leave it is essential that the candidate be self-driven and be able to work independently. The position is based in Stockholm, Sweden.