SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant, (WASH) -Re-Issued
Vacancy Notice SVN/IOMSO/022/2019
Duty Station : Nairobi Kenya
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G7
Type of Appointment : Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension
Organizational Unit: WASH Unit
Direct Supervision : WASH Programme Manager
Overall Supervision: PRD Programme Manager
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 19 April, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is
dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing
services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Ministry of Energy and water Resources is implementing the Project "Access to Water Supply and Sanitation for Rural Communities in Somalia Project” funded by the Africa Development Bank (AfDB) on behalf of Ministry of Energy and Water Resources, Federal Government of Somalia. The overall objective of the project is to improve access to water and sanitation services in rural areas of Somalia and reduce infant and under 5 mortality caused by Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) related diseases. The project targets 125,000 riverine and 50,000 nomadic people (including Internally Displaced People (IDP) returnees) through construction of solar powered mini water supply systems, and rehabilitation of strategic rural water supplies. Multiple water use for both humans and livestock will be promoted and the project will conduct community mobilization and awareness-raising on health and hygiene and promote Open Defecation Free (ODF) practices through the Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach. The Institutional strengthening and project sustainability activities include training of key government staff on water quality monitoring and the beneficiary communities on essential Operation and Maintenance (O&M).
The Ministry of Energy and Water Resources in consultation with ministry of Finance and African
Development Bank, selected International Organization for Migration (IOM) as implementing agency of the project. IOM will be responsible management and coordination of the project. The
Page 1 / 4
project will be monitored by Project Steering Committee (PSC) comprising the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (all regions), Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Health (FGS), and Ministry of
Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Women and Gender to ensure alignment and
compliance with FGS and donor coordination policies. The PSC will ensure that the needs of water
and sanitation users are sufficiently reflected in the Project design as well as in selection of
Under the overall supervision by Chief of Mission, under the direct supervision of WASH Programme Manager in close collaboration and consultation with Ministry of water and energy of South West stat, Project steering committee as well as other IOM units, the incumbent will provide technical engineering support and monitoring to the WASH activities funded by the African Development Bank and implemented by international Organization of Migration (IOM) and report directly to the IOM WASH project Manager under Preparedness and Response Division (PRD).
The position will be focused on providing support and assistance in various aspects of project’s
administrative, financial and programme management functions.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical and project support to design, planning, and Water Supply, Sanitation and
Hygiene promotion for WASH unit.
- Participate in site assessment and prepare report based on site assessments for intended
for WASH development.
- instruments BoQs and RFQ including specification of equipment, following up on
- Support Government and WASH implementing partners or contractors in the development
of implementation plans, cooperation
- Prepare work schedules projecting the projects implementation timelines.
- Facilitate Water supply and sanitation projects implementation monitoring and evaluation
- Provide guidance and support to government in regular field inspection visits to project sites
for technical supervision, verification and certification of progress on works.
- Provide capacity development to Government and partners where necessary, and prepare field visit reports.
- Organize rapid project assessments and monitoring mechanisms and conduct periodic
assessments on quality, quantity and timeliness of ongoing work.
- Monitor integration of WASH activities and convergence with other sectors and ensure community consultation and maintenance training.
- Monitor inputs, field activities and find solutions to obstacles and provide utilization
reports for specific activities for donor report.
- Provide inputs to the WASH weekly, monthly and quarterly and annual reports.
- Provide inputs for proposals, donor reports, and other reports produced by the office.
- Follow up timely submission of narrative and financial reports from partners including
implementing partners and vendors as per the agreements.
- Support procurement of goods and services for activities if requested, in accordance with
the IOM procurement guidelines.
- Document implementation through field photos, GPS, videos and beneficiary quotes, in close collaboration and coordination with Project development support unit and Public
- Compile data on project activities for internal and external reports of IOM, clarifying
outputs, achievements, challenges, corrective measures taken as well as future plans.
Ensure routine field site visits are undertaken and reports filed and shared accordingly,
Monitor project activities and work plan to verify that relevant activities are being implemented in accordance with agreed budgets and time frames and actual works progress. Page 2 / 4
Participate other activities related to the project as deemed by project manager, project
implementation team, Project Steering Committee.
Assist in resource mobilization for PRD/WASH by identifying funding opportunities in general
and collecting and compiling the latest key field data.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or/ Civil Engineering or/ a related field or/ Diploma in
Architecture/ Civil engineering with Five or more years practical experience;
• A minimum of five years of experience working in Water and sanitation sector and/or community
development in a repetitive organization or company in Somalia and/or with
government institutions , preferably in South West regional state.
• Experience in assisting research and/or assessments in Somalia.
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation of project performance.
• Experience in liaising with government and local authorities, in particular Somalia.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet applications, knowledge of drawing and designing
software, is an asset Experience in working in international organization, an asset.
• Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter
• Good writing skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office with proven proficiency in
Access, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Excellent operational, organizational and communication skills and the ability to work
harmoniously with other colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
• Experience of building relationships with a wide range of colleagues and partners.
• Proven ability to manage competing priorities under pressure, meeting deadlines and work with
• Fluency in English.
Required Competencies Values
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner
and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
Page 3 / 4
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex
matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to
carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internals of the Organization candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered
as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Page 4 / 4
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice
Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their
contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
From 12.04.2019 to 19.04.2019