The Climate Organizer supports community members along the Columbia River, working to inform and engage residents in Oregon and Washington on threats from fossil fuel projects. The position requires evening and weekend work and travel, including frequent travel to Longview, Kalama, and Clatskanie.
The Climate Organizer works closely with Riverkeeper’s team of attorneys, organizers, and communications specialists to develop and implement strategic campaigns to protect the Columbia River from fossil fuel development. Specific duties include:
- Develop and Implement Strategic Community Organizing Plans: The Climate Organizer works with Riverkeeper staff to develop and implement strategic plans to achieve Riverkeeper’s campaign objectives.
- Build Grassroots Power: The Climate Organizer empowers communities threatened by fossil fuel development with organizing tools. This includes: building and maintaining grassroots volunteer infrastructure, recruiting new activists by phone-banking or attending events, training and developing activist leaders, and maintaining campaign data.
- Communicate to Members and Public: The Climate Organizer will communicate Riverkeeper’s campaign work to the public by organizing events, speaking in public, and using web-based organizing tools. The Climate Organizer also drafts and edits social media content, newsletters, emails, fact sheets, website posts, press releases, and other communications.
- Communicate to the Media: The Climate Organizer serves as an ambassador for Riverkeeper in the media. This may include appearing on television or radio.
- Coordinate with Staff at Other Nonprofits: The Climate Organizer will maintain regular communications with staff at other nonprofits on campaign matters and emerging issues.
- Supervise: The Climate Organizer will supervise and mentor volunteers and interns on a periodic basis. Depending on experience, the Climate Organizer may supervise other employees or oversee contractors.
- Development: The Climate Organizer will occasionally assist in fundraising, including applying for and reporting on grants for the organization.
- Other duties as required.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge about building power in communities, public interest advocacy, environmental justice, the fossil fuel industry, and climate change.
- Understanding of and commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- One year or more experience as a community organizer or campaigner.
Please see "To Apply" link for more information.