Multilateral Governance Manager
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies.It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has mobilized 10.3 billion USD, accredited 75 entities to channel its resources and approved 93 funding proposals for a total investment from the GCF of over $4.6 billion. In addition, the decision has just been made to launch the first replenishment of the Fund.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment
The Multilateral Governance Manager leads a team supporting the Fund’s engagement with the multilateral climate finance process and the implementation of related mandates to the GCF as an operating entity of the UNFCCC financial mechanism, including the arrangements between the GCF and the UNFCCC-COP, and GCF’s relations with its constituted bodies and other climate finance channels; looks after the GCF’s complementarity and coherence with other Funds, input to operations and strategy of the GCF on topics mandated under the Conference of Parties (COP); and supports the decision- making of the Board on related matters. The Multilateral Governance Manager will report to the Secretary to the Board and Head of Governance Affairs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead and manage a team supporting the Fund’s engagement with the multilateral climate process and implementation of related mandates, including the arrangements with the UNFCCC-COP, the implementation of the operational framework on complementarity and coherence with other funds, and the development and implementation of crosscutting initiatives in response to Board and COP guidance;
- Lead cross-divisional efforts, including providing strategic advice and solutions to the Fund’s Senior Management Team (SMT) towards engagement in the multilateral climate process and the implementation of guidance from the UNFCCC-COP, including on emerging crosscutting matters;
- Contribute and lead the development of strategies and innovative proposals to respond and collaborate with strategic internal and external stakeholders, in response to mandates from the UNFCCC COP;
- Represent the Fund in multilateral climate finance events, meetings, and relevant fora as required;
- Oversee the team supporting the formulation, drafting, implementation and review of documents on multilateral climate governance, to support internal functions and to assist the Board’s decision-making process, as appropriate;
- Develop comprehensive initiatives for the achievement of organizational targets on multilateral climate fora and collaboration with other funds and follows on progress as required;
- Support efforts of the Office of Governance Affairs in fulfilling its other core functions; in cooperation with Divisions and Offices across the Secretariat, operational divisions from a crosscutting perspective informed by operations across the Fund;
- Supervise the climate policy team and ensure the overall quality of its work;
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the climate policy team and ensures their ongoing learning and development;
- Other related duties as required by the supervisor.
Required experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree in international relations, governance, environmental policy, economics, finance, sustainable development, climate policy or related fields
- At least 11 years of relevant work experience, including involvement in international climate negotiations and/or climate finance processes & development and implementation of strategic policies
- Ability to work under pressure, under strict timelines, demonstrating complex problem solving with independent judgment and decision-making, for the delivery of tasks related to the post with high quality and timeliness
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage